Thread: Black Sand

Black Sand

Hello,

As per my Crap thread, my tank is in a slow demise due to a leak, and Im trying to make light of the situation by taking the opportunity to make afew changes Ive been thinking about.

My first, is Ive been thinking about using Carib Sea Black Tahitian Moon substrate. Does anyone have any experience with this? Pros/Cons?

Also, If/When I set up a new tank of the same size, I plan to use most of the original water, and all of the original equipment and live rock. With the addition of a new substrate, how long could I expect the tank to cycle? Would the cycle be severe enough to stress mushrooms? Will the resulting Ammonia - Nitrite - Nitrate spikes be too much for my inverts and fish?

Thanks for all the help.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

you shouldn't have much of a cycle.
    black sand doesn't reflect light well so the tank will look dimmer.

If you plan to replace the sandbed, you shouldn't face much of an Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate cycle. But, you will lose the filtration and life in your current sandbed. You would probably lose some or most of it churning it into a new tank anyway.

The new sandbed will need time to mature and be the active filter and bed of life it should be, but, it won't produce any Ammonia.

When you do start to transfer out, try to disturb the current sandbed as little as possible taking out the live rock, fish, inverts, (anything you want to keep). Then drain as much water as you can without disturbing the sand. Remove the sand and dispose of the remaining water. I don't know if you want to rince the current sand let it dry and store it for possible future use or just toss it, your call.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I just bought this stuff:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

It's more Black and White in person then in the picture. I haven't set up the tank yet but the sand is pretty cool! It's packed wet so it contains all kinds of goodies right from the start. Hope to get the new tank started soon!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Are there any Canadian distributers?
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

Sent you a PM
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

As JR said it is very dim. I hade it my 77 gal to start and ended up slowly adding bomix white sand to the tank with a turkey baster a few shots at a time. I found that once the banded goby managed to mix them together it was perfect. I have a salt and pepper look going now and it reflects light very well. The stuff you got looks a lot better then the pure black. Hope it works for you!