lowering phosphate

what's the easiest way of lowering phosphate levels?? I filled the tank up with tap, but am using RO water to do top offs now. IT's been 3 weeks and I'm now starting to see algae growing on the glass.

thanks.
    thien

ahhh, i did the same thing when i first set up my tank. you can run some PhosGuard (by SeaChem) and that will absorb the phosphates in your water. another option is driping calcium hydroxide which will raise you pH and cause your phosphates to precipitate out. - I always do both.
    Albert
    My Photos

What are your thoughts on phosphate filter pads, there are some reports that they can cause a bit of havoc with corals, I was considering running one in the salt mixing tank, on the p/h attachment.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I have never noticed a problem with the corals, Tiffany. I used one shortly after setting up my tank when my phosphates were high and I had no problems. The Phosguard is much better than the other one on the market. I have tried both.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

the pads supposedly run the risk of leaching metals into the water. i've never used them, but i prefer the PhosGuard also b/c you can always just throw out the used stuff and refil with fresh (like activated carbon). the pads can only be used once (some say you can cook it then re-use it, but i dont think so). From what i have read up on when choosing a phosphate absorber, Phosguard seemed to be the best choice. Another option is something made by Korallin called "PO4-Minus" i have used it and it seems to have worked (although i am not sure about any effects it may have on water chemistry). Basically it is an additive that you pour into your tank, and it is filled with enzymes that attach to phosphates. they enzymes end up getting skimmed out by the protein skimmer and they pull out the attached phosphates with them. here is a link to the product on Marine Depot's site: http://marinedepot.com/a_ad_kt_po4_m...fo.asp?CartId=
    Albert
    My Photos

Thanks for the info
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)