Thread: Tank Cycling

Tank Cycling

What types of things should, or can I have in the tank while it's cycling? I am talking about things like snails, cleaner shrimp, live rock etc.. Is it best to leave the tank totally empty, or should I add some cleaner crew?

Most people cycle using live rock only. You wouldn't add anything else until the ammonia and nitrites are down to '0'. If you cycle with well-cured LR, you may actually never see an ammonia spike. Many people add a dead cocktail shrimp to the tank to 'stress' the initial cycle before adding life-stock.
    Nick

What is everyones thoughts on using Cycle? I have heard mixed revies. Some say it works well, others say it is bad for your tank. I am confused. lol. Is there anyone that knows for sure if this stuff is worth it. I can't see it being bad for your tank, why the heck would they sell it.

I don't the product but most of these 'fixes' are intended to shorten the time to a functional tank. You know the old saying: nothing good happens fast in a reef tank? And the advice about patience? Why waste money on an artificial product if waiting a bit longer will achieve the same result? Perhaps even a better result since you are letting the tank develop more naturally.
    Nick

I dont know that Cycle is used to shorten the time you need to cycle the tank. Apparently it adds beneficial bacteria to the tank, to help with the process. I had planned on using it along with the normal cycle methods, and time line.

There's nothing in cycle you can't get for free if you're patient.

Having said that though, there are times when a bottle of cycle will save your arse. It's a decient product, but you don't *need* to start your aquarium with it.

Keep in mind if you decide to use it, it's recommended you use it at double strenght for marine tanks.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Ok, so in no way will it ever be bad for your tank? It can only help? That's basically all I am looking for.

I'm sure if you put enough of it in it could cause problems, but as long as you're following the directions IMHO the worst that can happen is you waste your money

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

cycle is good stuff
    totally reccomend it
    i'm not a big fan of putting a shrimp in the tank to rot, (prolly because it looks gross and will smell even grosser when you get it out)
    I add some Black mollies. at least then you get some fish to watch.
    they are neat and can live in salt water, just don't throw them directly in to the salt water from ther fresh water.
    put them in a bucket and add salt slowly, over a hour then add them to your tank
    feed them like you would feed a fish, (OR whenever your board, because they will always eat.)
    Once they start eating they will start pooing and your cycle will begin.
    then take them back to the store, or feed them one at a time to your carpet anemone.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500