Thread: Nitrates

Nitrates

Just tested my nitrite and nitrate levels (I got a new fish last week) and found that my nitrites are at 0 but nitrates are at about 10-15 PPM. I also did a "cleanup" in my refugium yesterday which stirred things up quite a bit. I was prunning my macro and stirred up the and bed (not by purpose). My question is ... should I be worried that I have 10-15 PPM of nitrates in my tank? It is also time for a water change tomorrow. I do a 30% every two weeks and this saturday is water change day. I haven't really tested my nitrates before a water change to see if they get higher when it's close to water change time so I have no reference. Everything seems fine - Xenia is plusing, leather is open, candy looks good and fish are happy. Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Steph

imo 15ppm nitrate is should be ok for softies & lps corals and fish can handle
    much higher nitrate level.

a small waterchange might help your softies and inverts. but nitrates around 10 should be fine
    Vu

Yeah, those nitrate levels are low enough for you not to worry about them. The xenia and leather opening up is definitely a good sign, and if you are doing water changes every so often, you will be fine. Don't start worrying until your nitrates get into the 15-25 ppm range. Then you may have to add some more biological filtration.

Thanks for the input everyone

As always the LOWER the better but this is not a really ugly number. If however your water change dose not reduce it i would do the water changes at 1/2 you current volume but twice as often.
    Rob