Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

wanted peoples opinion on this tank

hi i am new to all this been reading everything i can find for 2 weeks now. want to start a project in the next couple of months and would like a tank like this.

tank 1

tank 2

now i want people to be honest. what will i need to change to fit my setup. my plan for right now is live rocks, sand. 2 perculas clowns and maybe couple corals and a decent clean up crew. any help is appreciated. where in ottawa could i find tanks like this. would u stick with glass or acrylic is just as good. i know it scratches easily but i like the look of them. not sure what else to type but ill add some more to mypost tomorrow its really late. oh and im glad to have found a site like this one.

i pretty much will only have 2 good options to get your setup going, either Aquaria Canada in hull or marinescape on carling and sherwood. they will be able to set u up with a custom tank like that. did u look at the JBJ deluxe 24g nano?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBJ-Nano-Cube-24...QQcmdZViewItem
    Vu

I think it depends on your budget and how much maintenance you fell like doing. Ya the nano cubes are cool but I would not fork the cash. Bigger tanks are easier but also cost more. If you want to try a small tank that will be home to a pair of ocellaris clowns, mine live in a small glass 10g (10$ new). Of course you need to add the necessary equipment, I run 1 powerhead and 2 aquaclears for flow and filtration and 2x T8 florescent tubes for light (1 daylight and 1 actinic). Now, small tanks are alot of work, I do daily fresh water top offs and weekly 10% salt water changes. As far as rock goes I did about 20% LR and 80% BR. Total estimated cost of set up 200 to 250 dollars. Another option would be to get something bigger used, you can try your search here on the classifieds. This 10g is my third tank and it is the most time consuming compared to my 120g. Although I spend more time in front of the bigger one.

thx for the reply guys. i didnt know that those tanks would be called custom i thought they were like the nano cubes and came already ready to go. i love how the nano cubes look but i have been reading that they arent very good quality. what about an eclipse system what do you guys think of that one ?

I have a 30g with an eclipse6 hood. After a few mods they arn't so bad. The thing with these all in one set ups is that they are limited with what you can do with them. Adding lighting is a pain, they don't offer enought flow, so you need to add powerheads. So the total cost is not cheaper than going with better stuff. Unless you buy it used.

i see your point. so i should just start with a glass or acrylic tank and then buy everything seperated. what do you guys think of acrylic tanks. love them or hate them.

I have never owned one but love the clarity. They are more costly and I have read that they scratch easily. Its up to you, both are good.

on smaller tanks acrylic is not worth it, glass is just as clear and less scratchable. I's say start slower and buy a tank first, then either make a stand and canopy or buy one,then your lighting etc,, for smaller tanks you can get away with NO lighting.

NO -- meaning Normal Output (standard fluorescent)

As opposed to "no lighting". ;-)

Of course with a "fish only" (no coral) setup, you only need lights to see the fish.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have a 20 reef and 72 g reef. I consider my 20 g easier to keep than the 72g. The tanks shown look pretty good. If I had start over I would try one of them. Since they include decent lighting (good enough for LPS corals and softies), filtration, etc. the price isn't bad at all. By the way, do put too many fish!

Good luck!

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast