Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smells fishy!

Smells fishy!

Hello everyone,
    I bought an aquasafe Ro/di unit about a month ago, and it worked good for 2 weeks. Now, the water has a weird fishy smell to it. I isolated the Di section as the problem, and I guess the odour treatment section doesn't seem to be doing its job!

Has anybody ever encountered this? Does anybody know whats going on?
    And is there a way to open the Di section, I don't want to break it

Thanks for any advice!

did you test the water with a TDS meter? if not, you should get one. I don't think you can open the DI canister and what would you be looking for anyways. how do you have it hooked up?
    filter-filter- carbon-RO-DI- and out.
    Ive never smelled any odor at all.

I don't think you can open the DI canister and what would you be looking for anyways.
    Some DI resin turns colour once spent.

That doesn't make a lot of sense though. The charcoal filter will nuke most of any odours, the RO will do a number on what ever is left.

Since most smells come from organic compounds, you DI filter wouldn't do much for smell, unless it's somehow become contaminated. Garbage in...

The only other thing I can think of... is there any chance you're flushing the line into the DI rather than getting the clean water from the RO?

That would exhaust the DI pretty quick since that water contains everything rejected by the RO membrane. It might even smell odd if it were allowed to collect...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

yes just make sure that the 2 lines coming off the RO canister are sent to the right spots. the one with the clear fitting and blue line with metal clamp clamp fitting goes to the DI and the other goes to the flush kit which then goes down the drain. if you look at the unit, the fittings should be on the right hand side on the bottom, the one in the back is your garbage water to the flush kit valve.

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I disassembled it completely and decided to reassemble it. The smell is still there, but not as bad, so I'll keep flushing it and pulling out water to see if it can get rid of it.

So, judging by what I'm hearing, there's no way to replace the DI canister? So once it's old and screwey, that's it?

Also, this whole incident got me second guessing myself, because when I look at the Ro/Di units on big al's online, there well over 400$, and I usually never go for the cheaper stuff. So, does everyone with an aqua-safe unit (100 gpd) like theirs? As there been other problems that may come later on?

I've had my unit for 2 years now. you can buy new DI canisters? there not exspensive but I doubt that its used up already. your not on well water are you?? also, get a TDS meter and you'll know whats going on with your water.

Yeah, I'm on well water (It sucks for everything!)

I'm worried that maybe my waste went straight to the DI, which may have screwed it up!

Another question, I only have small aquariums, so I don't need a whole lot of water (about 30-50 a week). So, when you talk about a Ro/Di reservoir, does it have to be pressurized? Or can I just take a giant bucket and put a float valve on it?

were are you located? maybe I can stop in.

You can use a 'new' garbage can and put a float valve on it.
    Tang_man_montral makes/sells auto-topup systems that work with your RO/DI unit that fully automates the topping up of your tank.

And the aqua 100gpd model is a great RO/DI unit. That's what most of us here use. And you can buy replacement DI filters (from Aquaria.ca), but I doubt you need a new filter yet.

And welcome to Aquaria.ca by the way!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Thanks for all the feedback!

I think the smell is slowly going away, so I'll keep flushing water out!

I live in Aylmer, and I'm just off of the city water limits, so I'm stuck with this stupid well water!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast