Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

20 g long or standard 20 g

i really like the look of a 20 g long. is there something that will change in the way i take care of everything. the lights i am worried about. will it be alot more expensive. is it even worth it for me to go with a long tank. since the lights are longer and the water is less deep can u use bulbs that arent as bright.

Lighting depends on what you decide to keep. I think 2 x65 watt bulbs, one actinic, one 10000K white is enough for most soft corals.
    I personally, like the look of long and shallower tanks, and they're easier to light than deeper tanks.
    In general, its best to go with higher lighting at the start because you'll probably get the bug to keep more light demanding specimens of coral and you'll just end up upgrading later.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

i've had plenty success with just standard FL light, ie: 2x18w on a 20, though if u want ur corals to grow fast and get other kinds too... 2x65 is way to go

lighting will cost more for a long, but i thik its worht it, u can upgrade to a 50 if the time comes and u wish to do so

but look wise which one does everyone prefer.

what if your anemone or something else gets big would they need the height room that a 20 g standard offer or will it suffer in a 20 g long.

IMO Longer and shallower are both bonuses n the saltwater hobby. First off you have more real estate in the form of a biger foot print for decor and fish to swim around in. Second the tank will be easier to light because you need not push that light through deeper water.. maintenance of the shallower tank is also somewhat easier.
    Rob

nice good to hear. so which lights would u recommend for a 20 g long. and approx how much. for light and fixture. i want LTA and hammer or frog. 2 percula and thats it for now.

Your going to need good quality light to keep a LTA and have it do well. I really don't like making recommendations about lighting configurations because there is an endless selection of products on the market and they can be mixed in many different ways. All I can suggest is that you pay close attention to the quality of the light produced by the bulbs you look at. You are looking for a spectrum that is as close to natural sunlight as your budget will allow. I'm sure others Will chime in with lots of advice and opinions.
    Rob

anyone else have suggestions on lights

Shallow tank lighting... I'd go T5HO's due to the low profile and lighting power on shallow tanks. Second, I'd go MH for the shimmer effect but then you'd have to worry about heat. Third, there are Vho's as an option but not one I'd pick. I don't like PC's so I wouldn't even bother. I keep nano's, mini's, and regular reefs but these are just my thoughts. Look around and see what corals you might want to keep and buy the lighting for it, you may need the lighting in the future anyways.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast