Question Coraline Algae Question

Just wondering how you you can tell if you are on the right path to getting the proper algae. Am I to allow the brown algae to grow on the back of the tank, or should I be cleaning it off? Any info would be great.

I have always kept my glass clean with a mag float. Coraline stays unless I scrape it off with a blade.

Brown diatoms do well when there is food in the water for them to consume. This usually means there is nitrates and or phosphates in the water column. Removing the diatoms will in effect export the nitrates and or phosphates out of the system which is a good thing. Keep in mind that once this stuff is removed from the glass it MUST be removed from the water or it is not exported. It can be removed from the water column with a mechanical filter that is cleaned EVERY day. Once the nitrate and or phosphate levels have dropped to a point below what is needed for the diatoms to live ... they will simply die off.
    Rob

ok, well I have all of the filtering listed below in my sig, so you suggest that I just clean them daily?

if you can get inserts for the power filter that are described as being "diatom" or "micro" I would use them in it for a few days after any glass cleaning operation. Clean that filter daily under running water when its in use. Shake as much of the cleaning water out of the filter as is possible before returning it to the power filter.
    Rob

Great, thanks for the tips, I just want to get it so I can reduce the glass cleaning a bit