Thread: New Coral

New Coral

Yesterday, I went out looking for something to brighten up my tank a little bit. This yellow polyp coral was on sale for around $40, so I bought it. Any advice? I currently have it placed high in the tank (55 gallon, 4 X 55 compact fl. lights.) The guy at the shop said my lights would work fine. When should I expect the polyps to come out? Thanks
    PS- sorry for the blurry picture, for some reason my camera was acting up again.

That's a nice looking piece. What is it exactly? A frag of a yellow scroll or cup coral? Or some type of encrusting coral? Looks a lot like SPS to me. If it is, then the polyps are already out in the pic. This piece may lose it's intense yellow colouring under PC lighting overtime, but you have it at the top of your tank so hopefully I'm proven wrong.
    George

Yeah, this is a small turbinaria frag (AKA cup coral, pagoda coral, scroll coral, etc.) The guy at the store told me that the power compact lights would be fine, especially because the coral is a filter feeder, and not completely photsynthetic. If I notice some color fading, I'll probably take it back to the store. Thanks for the comments.

there slow growers and will probally do okay at the top of your tank. look for better polyp exstention at night.

very nice!
    i need something colorful too!
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

NICE! I have a Green Pagoda cup. Mine is about halfway up in a 50gal. I use VHO on that tank and mine is doing great. It took a couple of weeks, but once the coral settled the polyps are open almost all the time! Doesn't grow fast but a very niice coral all the same! Love the color!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I believe I have the same coral you have, although your picture may induce me in error.

Mine is near the bottom of my tank and is doing very well. It is an SPS, but not one of the
    higher light ones, although all SPS love light.

I have had mine for more than a year and the yellow is very intense. It has grown about 10% since.

I forgot. Yes, you should keep it higher up in your tank with only 220 watts of PC. It may or may not be enough to keep all that beautiful yellow.