Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Diatom Algea Bloom ?

Hello all,

New to the site and I've been reading everything I can get my hands on.

My tank is 7 weeks old and just today I started to get a brown substance on the LR, crushed coral bed and some on the glass. I'm assuming its an outbreak of Diatom Algea Bloom but having never seen it I wasn't sure. (Only read about it)

I'm sure I'm just being over cautious and that this is normal for the first few months but I thought I'd put it out there for a comment.

I think tomorrow I'll head to the shop for some snails.

Scooby

Welcome to Aquaria Canada.

always good to have another maritimer on the board. it is normal to experience an aglea bloom when first starting up. you're on the right track, snails and a few hermits would be a good start.

if you need anything, i'm just over in sackville
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Welcome to Aquaria...

This is the best spot out there to answer your questions and this post, as you will see will be proof. yes this is a diatom algae bloom. You may be over cautious but we all are that way even though we don't all admit it. Here's what I would do. (This cycle will pass).

Use Reverse osmosis water or distilled for top ups.
    Have a clean up crew planned for the tank and maybe add it now if you haven't already. My preference is several types of snails, no hermits, a brittle star. If you have no corals in there yet, which you shouldn't, then reduce your light period a bit...maybe a couple hours shorter each day.
    Watch your water perameters and sit tight as this will pass. Do some small water changes weekly.

This is the period in reef keeping that will be the most work. Soon enough your tank will be settled adn established and start to maintain 70% on it's own. I have not got into huge detail as this will leave room for other suggestions. Good Luck and once again, WELCOME!

Please post in the preferences, your tank specifications etc. As much info about your set up helps us all give good advice.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I'm sure I'm just worried for no reason but it seemed like it happened in no time. I find myself checking out the tank everytime I walk by it (the wifes starting to make fun of me for that) and then to suddenly find this, well it was just alittle alarming. I'm be out picking up a few new inhabitants tomorrow and as I've been told, I'll be patient.

Thanks again

Keep in mind what you want for a clean up crew. The biggest thing to remember, hermit crabs will eventually kill snails for their shells. I keep both but have lost some to the hermits. Hermits do a great job on the live rock though. Here's what my 90 gallon has.

40 Turbo snails
    20 Cerith snails
    20 blue leg hermits (I would leave out next time)
    20 Nassarius snails
    2 brittle stars
    2 emerald crabs

Don't start with this many, but you can them over time. Hermits are very hardy, as are Cerith snails.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I'm about to add a short description on my profile as suggested.

Until then, I've got a 29 g, 18 lbs LR, some other rock recommened by LFS that isn't L (yet) and a crushed coral (mixed blend) base. Unfortunatly no skimmer yet but using a 401 Powerhead and a 300 Aquafilter (3 stage?). I'm in the planning stages of building a new top but until then it's just the one light (a __ glo) sorry for the vague areas.

As you can tell, I'm still collecting the goods but I'm eager to get right into it. I've waited years to start and I'm sorry I let it go so long.

Thanks again.

That's the way I started too. Now I have quite the elaborate system. When you get a skimmer, get a good one. used is always good. Then work on your lighting. You're on your way. Maybe you can start with a fish only system (they are nice) and when you get your system up to where you want it, with good skimmer, better lighting, and possibly and sump or refugium, then get into the corals. Skimmer and lighting is key for corals.

When I started I only kept huge lionfish and predators. After a year I was up to my neck in reef keeping. Now I still want to start another fish only tank but the better half has other plans for the money...hahaha

I know exactly what you mean about plans for the money. The only thing saving my but so far is that anytime I need to get something or tell her of my plans, it's to save the investment I've already put into the tank so far. That seems to be working so far.

I made the critical error of bringing my better half to the LFS and she had the chance to see how much some of my future fish are going to cost. I believe the exact quote was "79 bucks for a yellow fish (the Tang) that you can't even eat!"

The big plan is to do well with this tank for a year or so and show that I'm reasponsible enough to have a big one. hahaha
    Then this will be a good secondary.

be sure to keep your phosphates, nitrates, and silicates down and this too will help limit the amount of algae that will take over your tank (my tank is 7 months old and i am still fighting an algae outrage). get some test kits if you dont have any yet. Phosphates and silicates can be controlled by adding PhosGuard to your filters.
    Albert
    My Photos

Hi Scooby! welcome aboard! Hey- I still get diatoms on the glass and my Coral Beauty loves them. I leave a spot for her that I don't clean off so she can graze. So relax, it's all a part of reefing.

If you want to order snails Mail Order it will be much cheaper. We place orders fairly regularly. Xerces is putting together an order in a week or two. You might want to contact him about getting some snails. And Andrew Lewin has an order coming tomorrow. Just don't spend all your money at the LFS. And it is always a good idea to ask here first about what to get, or not get. :
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast