Thread: live rock/sand

live rock/sand

Am I going t o cause a dangerous ammonia spike if I add some llive rock ( 3lbs) and some live sand - sand bed is to shallow...to my tank ?
    It is stable and doing great. I also bought a phosban reactor..should be here in a few days.
    I have :
    35lbs base rock -reefer rocks
    4 ocellaris 1 green chromis - ( 1st clown and chromis killed the other 2 chromis) 1 coral beauty angel fish, and everyone is doing well. I do water changes about 20% (45gallon tank) every 3 weeks or so. I test the ammonia and it has never been above 0.5ppm

I have a refugium and an orbit dual 65w daylight bulbs, dual 65w acitinic bulbs with moonlights coming any day now.

I wanted to add a little bit of live rock (3lbs) to the refugium and some to the main tank. Aswell as i bought a 20lb bag live bahama oolitic sand to add to the tank and mineral mud for the refugium.
    should I add all this nice and slow? Or would it be safe to add it to the refugium and the main tank?
    thanks guys. Also its a hex corner tank.

wat size it the tank to have 4 percs

no pefcs, ocellaris =)
    and its 45 gallons
    asherah

Its pretty much up to you on how you introduce the rock and sand. Try putting a little bit in at a time and seeing what that does to the ammonia levels. If you don't see much of a difference, add more or just keep doing whatever you are doing. It is pretty much trial and error.

If you add live rock to a running system, it should be pre-cured. Either do it yourself in another tank or a bin, or buy it cured.

Sand from another running system should be washed well before adding. Clean unused "live sand" can be added without fear of a spike, but, it can reduce the filtration from your sandbed until the new sand matures.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

kewl thanks alot =)
    The sand is unused and the rock is cured.
    good to know I don't have to worry.
    asherah