Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

which phosphate remover?

What's the best product to use in my aquaclear 200 filter?

I have a bit of hair algae as a result of increased phosphate from overfeeding. I know eek! Water changing about 8 litres in my 80 litre tank per week.

My skimmer skims about a cup of dark green, near black icky stuff per week.

Tanks!
    :huh3:
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

i like phosguard (by seachem) the best.
    just be sure to rinse it very well before use, otherwise the dust can irritate your corals.
    Albert
    My Photos

I use Kent Marine phosphate guard, twice for each load. For the first I just rinse well and put it into a high flow area, pull it out 48 hours later and bake at 400 F for an hour, then back in for 48 more hours. This has taken PO4 levels down from astronomic to negligible over many iterations.

Phil

So are these phosphate removers re-usable?

Seachem Phosguard....great product! I use it for reducing phosphate levels quickly, and then a freshly rinsed bag in the sump to keep the phosphate at 0 ppm. 400gal mixed reef with 9 adult tangs requires a sheet of nori as a snack daily (along with the 2 regular feedings), without Phosguard, I couldn't imagine what the phosphate levels would be. I'm sure the use of Kalkwasser helps to precipitate phosphate, but Phosguard is the product I rely on for maintenance.

wow, I'm suprised how many people are using aluminum based phosphate removers in their reef. As ALHRA pointed out it is important to rinse the stuff well as the dust could kill leather corals.
    I prefer the iron based phosphate removers like Rowaphos or Phosban- they also must be rinsed well for fear of damaging sps corals, however I seem to be under the impression that the iron based po4 removers are more efficient at absorbing po4 that the aluminum based ones.
    Can anyone correct me here?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

HMM, I made a note of all the suggetions. Being cheap, I like the re-usable idea.

waiting for an answer also to the reefmutt query.

Tanks. :read:
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

I bought seachem's phosguard the other day. It wasnt until I got home until I realized that it wasnt re-usable, so maybe next time I'll try something different. Also, one small bag of phosguard only covers about 30 gallons. If you have a big tank, this may become expensive, especially because it isnt reusable, like purigen is (seachem.)

Purigen isn't specifically a po4 remover- it may remove some, but not as much as the true po4 removers.
    I also wonder if baking the po4 removing media is really doing anything. Keep in mind that Seachem's Phosguard and Kent's phosphate remover are exactly the same thing.
    I was not aware that aluminum based phosphate removers (like the Kent and Seachem) were rechargeable- and doubt that they are- I could be wrong, though....I guess....maybe....possibly....
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Reusable or not, you need a Phosphate test kit to know when to recharge or replace.

I use Phosban (in their reactor, which I can also use for Carbon as needed). I don't know about Iron based vs. Aluminum.

It may be that you had a source and only need to remove the phosphate once. It is more likely that you have a source and should use remover (or water changes) to manage on an ongoing basis. If you are like papafish with 400 gallons of water and a known supply of phosphates, you are better with a remover (cheaper and easier than a lot of water changes). If you have a smaller system with no phosphates in any of your sources, a one time fix might be sufficient.

As to how long they last, it is completely dependent on how much Phosphate there is to remove.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast