Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding a sump

adding a sump

is it possible to add a sump to a tank that already has wayer in it. i heard there is one that can hang over the edge im looking to add a pump and if it possible i would rather not take my water out.

You can by using an 'over the top' overflow, which basically is a syphon.
    Some people swear by them, others swear at them.
    Drilling the tank is always the better opion.
    You mention you already have water in the tank...dumb question: is there anything in the tank besides the water? If not, drain it and have the tank drilled.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

unfortunatly yes i have 120g and im still building up my rock work. i got about 70 lbs and a few fish in there. i want to turn it into a reef tank now but i still have to buy the lighting so i would rather not have to take the water out

the best way to go is by removing the live rock and water and drilling a hole ...over hangs in the back of the tank is a disaster waiting to happen

actually, leave the rock in there and cover with paper towel. just drain the water and drill [you'll need to find a diamond drill bit] or if you have to bring it in then you'll have to store the rock

is it completely dire to have a sump or would a skimmer do jus as well i would rather not have to empty the water.

put it this way, on a tank that size, you'll probaly end up definatly wanting a sump. just for the many good reasons like putting you skimmer un the sump to stop bubbles from going into your tank,heaters,topup water, and the list is endless. trust us, drill it before its to late!

sounds goods then thanks alot now just what to do with my fish and rock

A couple rough neck containers, 5 gallon pails, etc. will hold your stock while you get the tank drilled. It seems a big pain now, but, trust us, you will want to do it later and thank us for strong arming you now.

Straight water can just sit, your live rock and fish will need a heater, water movement and aeration. You can use an airstone for some movement and aeration, or some power heads have an airline attachement to aerate while moving water. Depending on how long the tank will be off line, the airstone should hold you for a day or two. Coral would need more water movement.

Before you dump the "simply stored" water back in, heat and aerate it.

The 120 is big enough that you should consider one overflow in each back corner or a long one with two drain lines for redundancy. Plan this and the sump before draining and arranging for drilling.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Here's another option instead of drilling. Get one of these. I thinm the biggest problem that people have with these is if they loose there siphon or the lights go out and then come back on. All the water from the sump gets pumped into the tank and dosen't get pumped back out. Well these ones will always start back up again. Check it out.

http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast