Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purple Algae?

Question Purple Algae?

I have a deep purple algae with green spots growing on my rocks and coral (non living). It's quite slimy, but is actually very beautiful. Is this okay?

After looking at the pics of everyones' tanks, I feel bad about the appearance of mine. I thought it looked pretty good before. Maybe oneday I can eventually work my way up to a beautiful reef tank as well.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Sounds like you're talking about Cyano Algae.
    It also appears in various forms of neon greens, reds, burgundy's, and blacks.

Cyano is due to excess nutrients in the tank and/or not enough current. You may be overfeeding, or not have enough water movement in your tank.

How long has the tank been set up? and with what equipment?

If you don't mind, please fill out your tank specs in your profile so that everyone can help ya out.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

It's been up and running for about 4 mos. I have an undergravel filter w/2 (55 gal) powerheads as well as "wet-dry multi-filter w/biofiltering action," it's called a Millenium 3000 for 20-100 gal. Pumps 295 gals/hr. I have crushed coral on the bottom.

Your undergravel filter may be producing excess nitrates in teh system and thus causing cyano bacteria. The pruple you describe really sound like cyano. It's a bacteria and not an algae. You can destry it with RED SLIME REMOVER (product) but I would find why it has occurred first. It will reoccur quickly if you don't.

I can say confidently that your wet/dry system along with the undergravel filter are causing the poor water conditions. Test your water for Nitrates and Ammonia. You may be shocked at teh results. When was your last water change? You can try a 20% water change over the next week to help. Increased water floww by using more powerheads or similar will also help.
    Do you have Live Rock? If so how much?

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Mouse,

Thank you, I stand corrected. I read algae, and for some reason, I wrote it as well.

Cyano IS a bateria.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Deep purple with green spots,eh?? Does it by any chance look ike this?

http://www.garf.org/39/1000.html

Just kidding. I would recommend that you try and syphon as much of it out as possible and be sure you do this with all pumps etc turned off. You want to have absolutely NO current in the tank. This stuff will settle elsewhere and reproduce elsewhere if it gets blown around!!!

ijo
    lol Toutouche if that is Cyano... I will turn off all water circulation and feed the tank 100 grams of cyclop eeze.

IJO

Ivan,
    Purdy, ain't it!!!! Actually me thinks Otto has a tiny frag of this starting to grow in his tank and since I pointed it out to him by showing him this pic, he basically said .." HOLY PURPLE BONSAI BATMAN!!!!!!!!!".

ijo
    lol

Otto..... bud-ole-pal

ijo
    here is another... wow... I'd love to get my hands on that coral..

http://www.garf.org/10003.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast