Diatoms/Cyanobacteria

I am absolutely sick of this brown stuff building up in my tank! It grows very rapidly, and covers every surface that is exposed to light. It is very easy to remove, but it comes back very quickly. I have been told that this stuff could be diatoms or cyanobacteria, and can be eliminated with better water flow in the tank, but if I add any more powerheads, my fish will be blown away! I've also added some Phosguard (seachem) to my bio filter to eliminate the silicates and phosphates (I've heard diatoms love silicates), but the brown stuff just won't go away. I've put plenty of snails and crabs in the tank, but they can't keep up with this stuff, because it grows back so quickly. Please help!!!!

I have battleled diatoms for nearly 9 months and the only thing I can tell you (and it might sound simplistic) is skimmer!!!! I had tried everything: not feeding, phosphate removers, more rocks, more water changes, blasting/siphonning the stuff, turning off the lights, putting a sheet in front of the aquarium so I wouldn't see it....lolll the only thing I did that got results was upgrading my skimmer (well I actually kept the original skimmer and added an other one, big system....) so check the skimmer, clean the pump, make sure it works a 100% and if it's a not so good type concider changing it!
    My 2 cents
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

I will go ahead and check out the skimmer. It's only a skilter filter, but it does a pretty good job of skimming.There is lots of mucky crap building up in the collection cup. Maybe I'll look into getting a better skimmer, because I was thinking of buying one anyway. I'm not sure I trust this skilter anymore. Thanks