Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11Gallon Setup

JHG

11Gallon Setup

What would one need in terms of equipment to setup a 11 gallon tank with a pair of clownfish? I'm very green in regards to marine tanks so I'll need specifics. I'm not looking to propagate corals.

J
    Marine Aquarium Society of Nova Scotia
    www.masns.ca

You are not looking for Coral, but, are you considering live rock for filtration?
    Are you hoping for an Anemone to host the Clowns?

If no to both of the above questions, then a filter floss and carbon would be enough when coupled with a proper water change regimen.

Two full grown clowns would provide a fair load for an 11 gallon system.

Again, if you don't want coral, you only need enough light to see in the tank, but, you should still use a daylight ballance light to keep from promoting algae.

Even with live rock, you should plan for a carbon filter to occasionally remove excess nutrients and unwanted pollutants.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

i'd recommend a 50/50 bulb, cause i like actinics, but if u don't daylight is fine...

look into getting a few pieces of live rock to help with filtration and such, 2 small clowns would be good for a 11g, pick smaller species like ocelleris and perculas

JHG
    Yes, I'm looking for the live rock to act as filtration. I'll be adding crushed coral and substrate from an established tank of another hobbyist to seed the tank. Here are the specs:

1. Tank - 11 gallon
    2. Aqua Clear 150 filter (no media but will use carbon occassionaly)
    3. Hagen PowerHead 301
    4. Live Rock - 11 lbs or so
    5. Substrate - crushed coral and aragonite
    6. Lighting - at the moment it will only accomodate incandescent but would like to possibly add a screw in fluorescent bulb. (Need advice about this)
    7. I would like to have an anemone but am unsure of its requirements to survive.
    8. Am considering either ocellaris or percula due to size. Can purchase either for $5 from Dalhousie lab.
    9. 100 or 150w heater.
    www.masns.ca

11 gallons is a little small for an Anemone, but, others have done it.

You can buy a small-ish 20 watt 50/50 (50% actinic [very blue] and 50% daylight) screw in bulb. You can buy up to 92/96 watts that is screw in, but, I believe only in the larger socket.

To host an Anemone, you will need more light than a single socket would provide, like multiple 24/36+ watt PC compacts or a 70 watt MH. I suspect you would be hard pressed to use normal output (NO) bulbs over that sized tank and have enough light for an Anemone long term.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have a screw-in 50-50 for my marineland hex 5 and it works good! wish i can mod the lid to put 2 in but i don't think its gonna happen

JHG
    Quote Originally Posted by cres
    11 gallons is a little small for an Anemone, but, others have done it.

You can buy a small-ish 20 watt 50/50 (50% actinic [very blue] and 50% daylight) screw in bulb. You can buy up to 92/96 watts that is screw in, but, I believe only in the larger socket.

To host an Anemone, you will need more light than a single socket would provide, like multiple 24/36+ watt PC compacts or a 70 watt MH. I suspect you would be hard pressed to use normal output (NO) bulbs over that sized tank and have enough light for an Anemone long term.
    If I could try an anemone which type would you recommend. I'm also wondering where the lights you recommended (screw-in type) can be purchased and who has reasonable pricing on these? What will I need to measure water chemistry for a marine tank?

I appreciate any/all feedback you folks can provide.

Thanks,

J
    www.masns.ca

JHG
    Is this the light fixture you are referring to -
    http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....01c+1132314441

If I included two of the above bulbs over the 10g would that still be insufficient to host an anemone?

J

PS: Forgive the "stupid" questions but I'm very much in marine learning mode.
    www.masns.ca

JHG
    Still looking for some help on the lighting and anenome questions.
    www.masns.ca

honestly i'd avoid getting anemone, but if u must, i would try a small carpet anemone, its good host anemone with not too much lighting requirments if u feed it...

if u just want something for the clowns to live in, u might even try a sarchopyton, sometimes clowns like to live in the polyps...

everything else i can think of needs pretty strong lights and thus i'd stay away from

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast