Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emerald Crabs

Emerald Crabs

Hello,

While at the pet store tonight, I was looking at Emerald crabs. They were pulling and eating algae like crazy from the rock work. Because of this, I am considering adding one to my 27 gallon tank. Will they also eat algae from the sand bed?

Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

the ones i had mostly stayed on LR, they're very strong and almost takes a vase to pull them off rocks, they eat all kinds of algae but i never seen mine on sandbed, i think its cause they can't grab onto sand like they do with rocks

I added one and on the first night after lights out, he ran along the base of the tank with claws in the air, back and forth like a madman along the sand. He came from a bare bottom tank so I figure he was enjoying the sand. Now, he hides in the rock and there may be days I never see him, and think he's gone, until I spot him again. Today I spoted him under a ledge shovelling stuff into his/her mouth. Never again on the sand though. He's also well aware of my wrasse and stays out of sight of it.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

I rarely see mine but you can tell that they are there because you can see the scapings where they have been eating
    they Don't clean Alot of Space but they clean what they do Very Well
    the rock is almost white when they are done.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I havent seen my 2 in a while... Not even sure if there still alive... That reminds me... I'll go buy another tomorow
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

I had three nice emerald crabs in my tank until my narrow line puffer discovered them then I watched as I went from three to two. One of the survivers got quite big and turned from green to black. I haven't seen them in quite a long time. The narrow line puffer is now quite large. He also got my black nudibrancs and just about anything else he can wrestle out of a hole or a shell.

Hank.

yes... puffers do enjoy them invertebrates....

Thanks to everyone for their insight and information. I decided today to pick one up even tho I wasnt sure he would do much for the sand bed. My tank could always use another member to the clean up crew. After acclimating him to the tank he stuck to the rockwork, and immediatly got to work eating. After the tank lights went out, he made his way onto the sand bed and really went to town. It seems he couldnt get his claws to his mouth fast enough. Tyhanks again to everybody for your help.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

I've got a BIG red legged hermit (shell is 3" long) that does a great job digging up the sand bed. It seems to be relatively non-aggressive since it doesn't seem to bother my other tank inhabitants. Of course, I don't have any corals in my tank yet...I think it will probably move into a smaller tank upstairs with the puffer when I start to add animals that are less able to fight back.

Of course...the epic battle between my two breeding tomato clowns and this large crab is something to see. The female (over 4" long) actually picks the crab up by a leg and drags it away from their nest.

Hank.

I use to have a Red Haired Hermit that lived in a Konch shell. and was about the size of a softball
    I fed him a whole shrimp almost every 2 days.
    he was strong enough to rip a large goldfish to shreds
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast