Thread: cool critters

cool critters

Is there much of interest to be kept in cooler water conditions? I have a little starter project going in a 10g and wondered if I can run it at my ambient room temperature of 65-67deg. I can heat it if I have to but im running out of wall sockets! There must be a lot of things in the ocean that can take moderate temperatures. Are any of them common to small aquaria?

yes, yes, and yes

if u like cool water critters, try some of this

periwinkles (snails, avaliable at groceries)
    gobies (selected species, most are ugly, but catalinas are beautiful)
    anemones (research... i dunno what species are coldwater off by heart)
    hermits (most will be fine in cooler water)
    mantis shrimp (there are coolwater species, if u find one and decide to keep it... don't bother with any other critters)
    serpent stars (most are ok)
    Sea cucumber (darker color ones are usually coldwater)

those will be ok in small tanks... if u have a bigger tank'd have more suggestions.... the porblem is obtaining them! unless u live by the sea its hard to get LFS to get them in

Smile

Hi Kennyfish,
    Welcome to Aquaria Canada,
    I have been tossing around this idea myself as I set up my 125, like Ricepicker said, location makes a huge difference. If you are in Frankville, Nova Scotia, this shouldn't be a problem as you will probably have to catch them yourself. On this board, I have been told people have enjoyed keeping green crabs (to add to the list) and other tide pool creatures like shrimp. Perch would not get all that big but not sure if a 10 gallon would be big enough, I've never seen them get bigger than 6". There is someone keeping a blue lobster (on south shore, NS, I believe) on here.

Trick is that when getting natural seawater, sand or rocks that a curing process must be used before adding to the tank to allow the die off to happen as it adjusts to life indoors. Basically all the same rules apply as tropical, take it slow.

I hope to learn more about your tank & experience.
    Ron N

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I have been reading Adey/Lovland's "Dynamic Aquaria" to learn more about running aquariums and they recommend exactly what you two have suggested. Unfortunately I am Frankville Ontario, just outside Brockville/Kingston and have no access to the Ocean.

Right now I just have an old hob filter running for water flow (30x/h) around two pieces of liverock on a sand bed. I have lots of time to figure out my next move. I have begun to wonder though, if I go with a temperate tank would that not need chilling in the summer? That would defeat my goal of running a lowteck saltwater ecosystem.

yea lol i'll be right out honest with you.. coldwater tanks are much more complex than tropical salt...

IMO

Yup me too, unless you have access to the shore yourself, I'd stick to tropical. Like someone recently said, tanks are rarely at room temp with the lights and pumps giving off heat and the heater being used mainly at night. Get a powerbar and a heater. Tanks can be fairly lowtech with proper bioload and maintenance schedule.
    Ron N

to be honest, your so called "temperate" water critters, is really coldwater critters, and you have to keep in mind night time temperature and day temperature in these oceans is significantly different than the changes in tropics.

on that note, i also have to mention that there is alot more algal growth IMo in cold water, usually in the form of kelp and other seaweeds. and cold water also have higher capacity to carry oxygen, which is something really hard to do in closed systems unless u get clever lol.

anyway, i say experiment, but don't hold your breath.