Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie intro

Newbie intro

Hey guys, im so new to this hobby that i dont even have a tank yet I have never had any desire to have a saltwater setup, i keep freshwater fish and they suit me just fine. My husband on the other hand, who has absolutely no interest in my freshwater fishies has decided he'd like a saltwater fish. Just one. In a 120gal tank, and since i do the whole fish thing i've been designated to be this fish's keeper. Soooooooo, i am studying up on what i need and i stumbled across this place! im so happy you guys are here and rockgarden has already made me feel very welcome!!!!

I've already posted this Q on another fish forum and i know some of you are members of the ovas as well so please bear with me, im just trying to get as much info as possible from as many folks as possible

So my Q is: What is the bare minimum setup i need for a puffer fish?? What kind of puffer im not exactly sure of, whatever kind they have at the LFS (not the freshwater puffer)

My husband went into the LFS with cash in hand ready to drop it on a 30g SW setup but he was talked out of it and into something that doesnt fit into his budget. I wasnt there, but i think this LFS was trying to hose him and it has been my experience that the salespeople at these types of places really dont know what they are talking about and are just trying to take your $$$. Since my husband and i are both clueless i figured if anyone would know it would be you guys

I appreciate any input

Sarah

HI Sarah.

Don't know much about puffer fish, but Welcome to Aquaria.ca!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Puffers can get quite big depending on the species, you could be looking at a 6 foot long tank. Arothron meleagris can reach 18 - 20".

I believe there's some puffers that would fit into a 50 gallon or so tank, but I've not really looked into it. Maybe a spotted puffer? (Canthigaster species).

I suggest having a look at what type of puffer you want & going from there

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

The "standard" puffer (by which, I mean, most popular) is the Spiny Puffer (aka porcupinefish, baloon porcupinefish). It reaches 30cm and needs a minimum aquarium size of 90g. It eats meaty foods (shrimp, krill, squid, etc) and veggie foods. It is not reef compatible. One reason for its popularity is that it quickly associates its keeper with food and will come out to eat.

Definitely research what kind of puffer you want, as this determines what set up you need.

Most of us here are reefers (meaning we keep Coral Reef tanks, that happen to have some fish).

For a puffer tank, I'd expect you will need some mechanical filtration, some way to run carbon, and possibly a skimmer (another type of filter).

The water quality requirements for Fish Only (FO) is not as high as a reef tank, but, salt water can still be a little different than fresh.

Some puffers, as mentioned, get huge. Some simply cannot be in a tank with any other fish. Ever. I read about one breed (I wish I could remember which) where researchers had no luck finding a pair who would mate. The agression was absolute. The researcher wondered how the fish ever got close enough to mate.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanx for the warm welcome guys

sara, i believe it is the popular puffer, hubby saw it at the pet store and was told how it recognizes faces. I think it was love at first sight lol thank you for the info, it will make it a lot easier to research now that i have a name to go on

He seems pretty determined to get this fish and house it in a 120g. Ive done some reading on puffers and know that they arent reef compatible which was a little disheartning as i had visions of coral and anemones and sponges, afterall 1 fish in 120g of water seems a bit of a waste On the brightside it saves money in lighting and extra hardware like sumps and skimmers and i can always upgrade to a reef tank later.

I love this place, ive taken the time to read thru a lot of the information here and most of my questions have been answered. It doesnt seem any harder to keep this fish than it is my freshwater fish, seems i can get away with a freshwater setup and the only extra hardware i'll need is a power head or two and some saltwater test kits.

Reefers get a disease known as MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) One of the leading causes is not being able to house really cool looking angles, wrasses, puffers, lion fish, etc. etc. in our reef tanks.

You've got huge options with a 120, you should really look around. There's some really nice looking fish that will get along with a spiney puffer just fine.

Generally speaking puffers are most aggressive against other puffers. They eat snails, clams, crabs, shrimp, coral, but usually not other fish.

Really small fish might end up lunch, but you've got a lot to choose from

Cheers!

Hi Sarah,

Check out this link for just about all the info and help you'll need in setting up and keeping a Puffer happy.

http://www.grimreefers.com/forums/in...p?showforum=12

Regards,

Scott
    Oh my that's expensive :canadian: oof:

First of all welcome to Aquaria Canada!

on a side note
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    Reefers get a disease known as MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome)

Cheers!
    Krugar ask your wife what MTS stands for in french :wink5: and figure out why I almost fell off my chair when I quickly read your response!! We got to figure out a different acronym cause it could turn a bunch of people off the hobby (pun intended lol)
    :hysterica
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolpol
    Krugar ask your wife what MTS stands for in french :wink5: and figure out why I almost fell off my chair when I quickly read your response!! We got to figure out a different acronym cause it could turn a bunch of people off the hobby (pun intended lol)
    :hysterica
    Hey you know Multiple Tank Syndrome IS contagious, maybe I understand more French than I let on :biglaugh2

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast