Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Talking 29G - Recomendations?

Hey guys,

I just acquired a 29G "kit", because I needed a tricky hobby and I find this one interesting.

Currently set it up, got the salinity all perfected up and testing/learning all the water parameters. The lighting on my hood is pretty basic, but I think it will do for now. Can't go too crazy anyways unless I want to turn the tank into a hottub. I know I will be upgrading pretty much everything as I go along and learn furthermore- but I'm limited because I'm in an apartment.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I can have living in there? I was thinking the average cleaning crew, with a few clowns. I highly doubt my lighting can feed an anenome though.

I'm not sure exactly what to ask, but if anyone has ANY recommendations, or anything to say for that matter, then please share. I'm new to all this, and I appreciate any advice or information I can get.

Thanks guys and gals.

Welcome to AC. First, tell us in detail what can with the "kit". Include specifics of the lights. Once we know this we can make recommendations. When did you set it up and have you cycled the tank? You can find some usefull basic info at the following site regarding cycling:
    http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sta...setupintro.htm

Make sure you come back to AC for the best info and advice!!!
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

hey welcome to AC! if ur running a 29 kit, i assume u have a hang on back filter of some sort? maybe a Aquaclear 300 or a Emperor?

I would suggest going about slowly

you looking at just over a month for ur tank to cycle, as i assume u have nothing in it at the moment?

look into getting sand for the bottom, rather than crush coral, although thats really personal preference.

Live rocks is a must, probably 30 lb of it will do, look for shapes u like that have lots of holes, cause that way u'll get bigger pieces for cheaper.

get a nice cleaning crew and you'll make ur life easier

don't over stock, its a common error for beginners... hell, its an error for me...

first thing you should look into upgrading is lighting, then filter

oh, check water before adding fish
    nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH

You'll probably need to by a saltwater multi test kit that will test for the things Ricepicker stated. First upgrade lights then a protien skimmer. Try to keep in mind the size of tank you will want next and upgrade approriatlly if possible. Trust me, it will not be long before you want a much larger tank. I have a 30 gal reef now but am upgrading to a 90 gal inwall in Jan 06. I have only been in the hobby since Oct. 04 and it has taken a lot for my wife to convince me to wait until Jan. Its definatley an addiction.
    Good luck!!
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

I'm actually in the process of reading a few books, I just wanted to setup the tank first since that's a pretty long process, especially for a first-timer.

According to the website for the "kit" here are the specs:

29-Gallon Glass Aquarium, Eclipse 3 System, 24" Fluorescent Lamps (2), Rite-Size "H" Filter Cartridge, BIO-Blend™ Tropical Fish Food, BIO-Safe™ Tap Water Conditioner, BIO-Coat™ Stress Defense, Beginners Fishkeeping Guide. Certified Flow: 250 GPH.

I got an extra powerhead (Maxi-jet 600), and some argonite already at the bottom.

I know the lighting isn't great, and I pretty much knew that, but I'm doing this with the GF too so we learn as we go along. Specs don't even really say the power and I just threw out the box lol

Lighting power seems to be 18W

Oh I know I'll want bigger soon, but I convinced myself to take it a little easy. I'm actually "allergic" to fish and can't have them near my bedroom.

Like I stated before, I'm in an apartment so I'm limited in size. So I'm trying to get used to everything before my 90G+ in a few years :biglaugh2

Oh and I do have a test kit to monitor all the properties.

yea on a 24inch lamp the bulbs at 18w a piece at Normal Output

with two, u can actually get away with some soft corals... i had a reef on normal flourecents for the longest time, actually... its still on normal flourencents

Still a little murky (sp?) from the argonite installation.

Wicked awesome filtering lol

2 lighting tubes, not 3 like it says online.

Looks great, I wonder if you could get an actinic to replace one of those regular bulbs?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast