Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breeding clowns.

Is this the right place for this thread? I'm just getting started breeding clowns.

I've got a pair of tomato clowns (Fred the female is just over 4" long. Barney the male is around 2.5" long. The names are a remnant from my uncle's original pair of perculas.) They have been laying in my main tank every two weeks until recently. Fred was looking a little ragged and spent most of her time harassing all the other fish in the tank. It was like there was a wall right down the middle of the tank. All the other fish lived in the west end of the tank and Fred and Barney lived in the east end. A few days ago I setup an annex tank to the main tank (they share the same sump) and I moved Fred and Barney, a pair of small blue legged crabs, and three snails in to give the fishies a rest and some privacy. Fred is looking a lot better. (In fact, I was in installing a small power head to pull water out of the top of the siphon in the overflow and she took several good runs at me. She didn't bite me but she would have given the chance.)

So...having written all that preamble...to the meat of the matter.

Is anyone here breeding clowns? Tomatos? Would someone be willing to offer a bit of advice? I'm off work for the next 4 months and would like to see if I can't raise some little clown fish.

Thanks,

Hank.

hmm i'd research into the live cycle of the clown fish fry, cause i believe they go through a stage where they're just too small to be in regular tanks

i would first move the rock with the eggs into a seperate tank, keeping an air stone to keep the water fresh near the eggs...

second, prepare a big tank, maybe a 55 gallon wide, a "breeder", or if u can find a giant PVC barrel, transfer the babies in there once they hatch.

then maybe get rotifers and baby brine ready

then hope for the best?

That sounds like egg-defensive behaviour of the clown.
    As soon as they hach, move fry in separate tank.

oh gosh, if u can even catch them... they don't free swim for a while, and some time new parents will eat them

clowns breed similar to cichlids if that helps

I have no real advise, but to say Good Luck.

You may want to try reading this:
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=240158

wow thats a good read...

i might be going over board with the 55g breeding, i reckon i was thinking on a commercial scale lol...

but i guess the most important thing is feeding eh? making sure u have enough rotifers and baby brine

Here it is in a nutshell. To get the pair ready to breed, you have to feed them extremely heavy for around ten days. If there is no anenome surrounded by a flat surface you can place a small piece of ceramic tile in the tank somewhere near their usual hang out spot. If they start digging in the substrate than it is close to spawning time. A small clay pot is another useful egg laying house. There should be good flow over the eggs once they are fertilized. The male will fan them for you. After 7 days remove the tile-rock-flowerpot or what ever else that they have laid on to the 5 - 10 gallon tank you have set up with no filtration. The water in the rearing tank is from your main tank. each day you will need to change 1/2 of it with your tank water. A small airstone will provide the circulation and oxygenation in the tank. On the 8th day or so the eggs will have hatched and you now have a bunch of clownfish. They can live on their yolk sac for about three days, ideally, you have already got your rotifiers ready for their consumption. This is all the eat for the first week or so. Perhaps someone can post a link to Flame Angels homepage, she has a rotifier propogation section. After the rotifiers they will need baby brine shrimp which you will also have to hatch yourself. Then on to larger brine shrimp. After a few weeks you can set up filtration on the tank. On one of the websites I read that you should completely darken the tank. I am not sure if this step is necessary. There are many steps that I have left out, the bottom line is that it is alot of work and patience is required. I know the heavy feeding works to get t hem to lay eggs and spawn, but I have not gone the rest of the way. I can see the fry when the hatch, however, they are Manderin food I suspect in a matter of days or hours.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by sara
    I have no real advise, but to say Good Luck.

You may want to try reading this:
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=240158
    Thanks. I actually have the book "Clownfishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson which is a really good read. I was planning to buy some rotifers the next time I know the eggs are a few days from hatching. If I can get them to the baby brine shrimp stage I can feed them on from there myself.

When I moved Fred and Barney I moved their baby rock (the one they cleaned and laid their eggs on in the big tank.) I hope that they will continue to use it (because it will be easy to remove) but who knows. Once they start laying again I'll get myself ready and setup another small tank to raise the babies in. Gentle airation at first then I'll bring it online with the main sump.

That's my plan, anyway.

Hank.

Fred (the large female) has now adjusted all of the aragonite in the aquarium to just the way she likes it and has taken ownership of the baby rock. Maybe if I stop provoking her by fiddling with the tank she'll actually think about laying again.

That is her in the cave in the middle directly over the baby rock. Barney is hiding in the left rear corner of the tank. He's camera shy.

The tank is located in the dining room and is serviced by an umbilical that runs back to the main sump in the wet room.

Hank.

How long before you get some baby Clowns do you figure?
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast