Overflow and sump question

Alright I need to ask this. Does anyone use any filter material in their over flows? I have some sponges in my overflow box right now thinking that will help with the filtration. Is that necesary? Can I leave the over flow empty and just have water flowing into the stand pipe? Also what are people putting into their sumps? I have the water draining into a compartment of the sump that has some floss material in it. Then the water flows into another compartment that has the heaters and skimmer. From there it goes into the compartment with LR/Macroe and then into the pump back into the main tank. Am I doing this right?

If you use a filter in the overflow, you should have it such that if / when it plugs up it will flow over the filter and to the drain. The only reasons I would leave it there is to a) help discourage snails, etc. from "riding the wave" to the sump and b) maybe to help with water noise.

Many people run filters of some sort in the sump. A bit of floss works, but, it should be a temporary thing to polish the water. Leave it there too long and it might become a nutient trap or start producing Nitrates.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

So I should leave the stuff in the over flow but take out the floss from the sump?

The overflow: I'd try it either way. If it doens't change the noise, you need to consider the effect as a shield.

The sump: I would change the floss regularly or only use it when the water is a little clowdy with particles.

Some people use a sock filter on the return line, but, need to clean it regularly. I've been looking for a way to add one to mine, but, I haven't yet.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have a sponge there to take out any large debris. (easy cleanign too) I also find it helps remove micro bubbles.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I use a cylinder of open cell filter foam (the kind you find in a foam block filter) with a hole down the middle. It stands in the compartment over the drain. If it becomes clogged the water can flow up over the top and down the hole. I put the foam in there solely to reduce water noise which it did virtually 100%.

Hank.