Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anyone ID this fish?

I've got a pair of fish in my aquarium that I call Ig and Ook. I don't differentiate between them and call the first one that I see Ig and the second one Ook. I bought them at the same time that I bought a large, dark blue damsel from Roy's Pets.

I thought they were blue green chromis but now that I take a closer look I don't believe that they are. Their bodies are not as long as green or blue green chromis and are shaped more like four stripe damsels or dominos. Their tails aren't as lyriform as those of the other chromis and they hold their dorsal fins erect almost all the time. Their behaviour is very unlike the blue green chromis as well and I would go so far as to call them belligerent.

I've had them in my tank for almost a year now and find them quite entertaining.

Any help pointing me to their true identity would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hank.

They look like chromis to me, but what do I know..lol. I also wanted to say "THANKS!!!!!" I got the bio balls yesterday.

You're welcome. I'm glad to have the extra space under my aquarium and I'm glad they went to a good home.

I thought they were chromis but the body form threw me off and I haven't been able to find pictures of fish that look anything like them. All the pictures that I find are of lyrtailed long bodied fish.

It's a puzzler.

Hank.

P.S. That's what I get for buying fish because they are unusual. H.

I am going to say, "Amblyglyphidodon ternatensis". Also listed as Ternate Damsel. I found it on page 386 of, "Dr. Burgess's Mini Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes". According to Dr. Burgess it is a peaceful community fish that grows to aproximately 14cm.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Yellow damsel, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DARK
    Yellow damsel, I think.
    The body form looks simillar but they're greener than they are yellow.

Hank.

Quote Originally Posted by swiseman
    I am going to say, "Amblyglyphidodon ternatensis". Also listed as Ternate Damsel. I found it on page 386 of, "Dr. Burgess's Mini Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes". According to Dr. Burgess it is a peaceful community fish that grows to aproximately 14cm.
    I think we have a winner. I'd be willing to bet $5 that they are in fact ternate damsels having looked at a picture.

Thanks for the help.

Hank.

cool fish.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Quote Originally Posted by Bram
    cool fish.
    Thanks. I really like them. I'm actually a sucked for "extra bag" fish, the ones that the suppliers toss in with a store's order because they are taking up tank space and no one is ordering them. I asked Steve at Roy's Pets what they were and he said "I dunno. I didn't order them. They just showed up." I got my black bar chromis (x3) that way (at Marinescape) and I think they are VERY cool.

Ig and Ook were in a tank with a large dark blue damsel (3" plus). They are about an inch and a half long now. They were funny because everything would be calm in the tank then on of them would take a run at the other. That would cause that one to take a run at the big blue damsel and all hell would break loose. Then things would calm down...and one of them would take a run at the other...

In my tank they did the same thing. Everything would be calm and one of them would take a run at the other. That one would then take a run at my yellow tang which really took offence and all hell would break loose...

They remind me of the pill bug acrobats in the movie "A Bug's Life" that fight and argue then perform their trick and yell "hey!"

Hank.

Someone had an avatar with them, but it was photoshopped to have feet.

What do the black bar chromis look like?
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast