SPS requirements

Looking at getting into some SPS corals and was wondering about general requirements they have. The tank has been running since september with sandbed and rock from my old setup. Temp is constant at 77 to 78degrees f. Calcium is 410, S.G is 1.025 - 1.026. P/H is roughly 8.3. What should my alk level be? What others levels should I be testing?

lighting and flow important, also placement of corals so they don't get stung, uhh what else...

every SPS have different needs depending on species, u best do some research for the kinds you like

alk should be around 10dkh- give or take a dkh.
    M.H. lighting is best, but most sps will do ok under vho or t5 if they are pretty close to the bulbs---there is no doubt, though, that M.H. will make them happier and more colourfull.
    Good, alternating (if possible) flow is also a must.
    Sps really like calcium reactors because they tend to keep calc./alk levels the most constant- Not absolutely necessary, but recommended.
    they also do much better with little or no phosphate in the water- they like a pretty low nutrient tank in general, but po4 is a key issue to keep under control.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks for the info reefmutt. I am using both MH and VHO lighting so I should have that base covered. For PO4 control I am using SEACHEM Phosban. Is this sufficient? As for flow I am using a wavemaster pro with 2 maxijet 900's and a rio 2100. The rio is on the main pump on te reef setting. I also have another powerhead on the wave master but am not sure of the gph rating. Will this offer enough alternating flow?

It looks like you are nicely covered for lighting and flow. And since I see you are looking into cal reactors, you are definetly on the right track.
    I don't know if you have been following the 'which phosphater remover" thread, but there is some good info. there... as well as a little useless filler. I think that it has been fairly well established that although Phosguard will remove po4, it CAN be dangerous with long term use and it isn't as efficient as the Ferric oxide/hydroxide po4 removers.
    Matt.

Going to be adding a phosban reactor to the system to handle any phospate issues. In the new year I plan to add a Ca reactor and a kalk reactor to the system as well. Will this be over kill?

the phosban and ca reactors are a must, imo. The kalk reactor you could live without, however, it WILL do great things for keeping the ph up- calcium reactors have a tendancy to depress the ph due to the addition of c02 and the kalk can help raise it again. It isn't absolutely necessary, but for people who get fixated on numbers- like 'I must have my ph at 8.3 or I will die!!" then kalk is good..my ph usually runs in the range of 7.85 to 7.98. I am considering adding a kalk reactor to raise the ph a little even though the tank has been very successfull for years in this range.
    Matt.

How big is he tank John? Lots of people have great sps tanks without the reactors. Good lighting, random flow and a good skimmer seem to be more essential. Add a 'fuge. I woudn't think you'd need the reactors unless you have a very large tank with a heavy use of calcium.
    Nick