Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Cysts

Another "has anyone..." question. Has anyone decapsulated brine shrimp cysts at home? I'm thinking of trying the bleach method. If so, please post with your experiences. If not, I'll post with mine.

Thanks,

Hank.

Brine shrimp (sea people.)

I didn't end up decapsulating the cysts after all but I did hatch some brine shrimp cysts and have been dutifully changing their water every couple of days and feeding them yeast. They seem happy. I see lots of little brine shrimp now so I'm guessing that the big ones are doing what big brine shrimp do and making little brine shrimp. I've been growing them in full strength aquarium water (I'm running about 1.026) so that they don't die of osmotic shock when I throw them into the main tank. That seems to have worked perfectly. They actually keep swimming until the fish find them. I've been filtering them through Japanese tea bags (the empty ones you can buy at Chinese and Japanese grocery stores and fill yourself) every couple of days and replacing their water completely. I hope to eventually move them to a 10 gallon tank and start feeding them nanochloropsis. Does anyone else have a culture of live brine shrimp running?

I've been a little bit disappointed by the fact that my sea people haven't started building sand castles and establishing a civilization (as the picture on the packet suggested they might) but I'm having fun none the less. This is the first time that I've ever managed to raise them to maturity.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

I have found that soaking the eggs for an hour in fresh water with light aeration, filtering out the eggs and then bubleing the lot in full strengts javex until the colour changes to the pinkish colour works best (you will recognize it after a try or two). You need to stay with it while they are bleaching, it takes a couple of minutes and you have to stop it in time (before the membrane surrounding the embryo is disolved).

I then rinse the eggs in water add a bit of white vinegar to eliminate the bleach and rinse some more (I sometimes add a bit of baking soda afterwards). The de capsulated eggs that are not used immeadiately can be kept in the fridge for a week or so just add some marine water (make sure that there is some air in the jar) and keep them cold until you need to hatch them.

Once you start decapsulating BS eggs you will not want to fuss with separating cysts from shrimp any more.
    HermitCrab

Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Eggs

Could I get some more details, please. Amounts and times would really be helpful.

Soak what amount of eggs in what amount of fresh water..

What amount of Javex?

Why does rinsing in vinegar remove bleach? - they're both acidic. I suspect that the fresh water and baking soda are neutralizing both acids.

How much salt water are the decapsulated eggs stored in?

If you referrenced another article / chat site that also would be helpful.

I'm really intrigued, but before I sacrifice endless cysts, I'd like to get some accurate data in the method.

Many thanks...
    Man cannot live on bread alone --
    He must also have his peanut butter

1: Soak in enough water to allow for bubling.
    2: The amount of javex should also allow for bubling the surface of the javex should be a couple of inches higher than the cysts.
    3: Rinsing in vinegar neutralizes the javex because javex is a base (corrosive but the oposite of an acid)
    4: Here is a simple recipe: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA023

PS. The bleach that I have is not as strong as the bleach used in this recipe but the same principles apply (keep an eye on the process or risk wasting the cysts)
    HermitCrab

Hey Mario,

Do you find it's still worth decapsulating brine shrimp if you use the 90% hatch grade from brineshrimp direct?

I'm following this:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/food/bbs/how_to_bbs.html

And I find it's pretty bang on, but I feed the bbs directly to the tank I haven't attempted rearing them. I might once I start growning my own phyto...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I prefer not having to separate the cysts, there are always some that end up with the shrimp and it's a hastle trying to avoid them.
    HermitCrab

Is there enough to worry about after they've settled though? After 20 minutes with a tea-towel over top of the bottle the live shrimp are on the bottom & the shells are on the top. Do enough of the shells sink that it's a concern?

I'm using the same setup as Marc & I drain into a brineshrimp net. Once it start running clear, I drain the rest down into the sink (before the shells start coming out) and the bbs goes into the tank.

I'm thinking about doing this more often though & raising the bbs to a larger size as a "backup" food for an as yet to be aquired dragonette. So I'm trying to decide for myself if decapsulating is required or not...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Quote Originally Posted by pt109
    Why does rinsing in vinegar remove bleach? - they're both acidic.
    Javex is not an acid, it is a base. Adding vinegar neutralizes the base but if you add it straight it will release chlorine gas so you should only add it to the cysts once they are drained and rinsed.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    I'm thinking about doing this more often though & raising the bbs to a larger size as a "backup" food for an as yet to be aquired dragonette. So I'm trying to decide for myself if decapsulating is required or not...
    The only reason you decapsulate is to avoid having to separate the empty cyst shells and unhatched cysts from the baby brine shrimp. For baby fish eating a cyst can be deadly (it blocks their digestive tract.) Larger fish can eat cysts just fine.

Hank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast