Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nano Seahorse/Reef tank

I finally decided to get off my rear end and start the Seahorse Nano Reef for the kids.

The tank is the Via Aqua 15 gallon it has 2 18w power compacts 1 actinic and one daylight,the corners are rounded looks real sharp.

Filtration will be the supplied under gravel w/powerhead and a penguin hangon with ecophos and purigen in it.I dont mind setting it up this way since everytime I will perform a water change on my main display I will use that water for the Nano as a water change.It should just be fine.

For livestock I will be keeping seahorses,zoos,seawhips,and a several other low light level corals.

here is a pic of the tank, I will post a actual pic soon, got to get some extra live rock.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Nice but could you hide the thread cause my gf has been bugging me to set a small tank up for seahorses. So you wont be running a skimmer on this tank and water changes will come from your main tank? You think its possible to use and Eclipse 6g tank with 1 t5 for lighting for horses?

Cant wait to see some pics.

cool

In the past week, I've gotten the seahorse bug and have nixxed my plans for a 90 or 100g reeftank (for now) due to space shortage and probable move in th next few years.
    My new year project is a horse paddock (Barbouri) with banded pipefish, sea grasses? (if I can find turtle and manatee grasses, maybe kelp)
    So, I'm looking for a tall (20 inch high tank) and am planning now lol.
    That looks like a nice tank reefsalt, what is the heighth? I've seen that at Premium Aquatics online but can't remember.

I'm watching this thread. :biggrinbo
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

I'm exploring a s/h tank for my son too. There seem be rather limited suppliers of both sea horses and sea grasses in Canada. Maybe we should try and asemble a list of the sources we find?
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Swimfins
    My new year project is a horse paddock (Barbouri) with banded pipefish, sea grasses? (if I can find turtle and manatee grasses, maybe kelp)
    So, I'm looking for a tall (20 inch high tank) and am planning now lol.
    I have been investigating the sea grasses and from my readings turtle grass needs a well aged dsb 6"-8". As well when transporting them they are not to have the root area disturbed.

QUOTE DARK :You think its possible to use and Eclipse 6g tank with 1 t5 for lighting for horses?

Hi Dark,
    Sure you can you could keep a pair of Syndey Seahorse or Zebra Snout Seahorse but thats it,throw a gorgonian some zoos and your girlfriend is happy:wink5:

QUOTE Swimfins; So, I'm looking for a tall (20 inch high tank) and am planning now lol.
    That looks like a nice tank reefsalt, what is the heighth? I've seen that at Premium Aquatics online but can't remember.

Hi Swimfins,

Length: 15"
    Width: 13.5"
    Height: 17.75"
    Hood Height: 5"

You maybe able to get it there im not sure but check in Montreal their are several stores who keep it.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

dark, is that tank enough for more than one seahorse? what kind are you planning on getting

Seahorses normally need a tall tank: at least three times their length with the tail unwrapped. That means that a 24" tank is needed for most regular sized seahorses. The only type which would fit in a 6G tank would be dwarf seahorses. These are harder to keep (needing live food) and are very hard to find in Canada.
    Nick

Oops, i actually meant that last question for reefsalt

I hear the regular seahorses (H. riteri) a pair needs about 30 gallons

i always figured it would be easier to keep sea horses in a smaller tank for sake of cleaning and easier for horses to find food...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    i always figured it would be easier to keep sea horses in a smaller tank for sake of cleaning and easier for horses to find food...
    Very true (especially the food part) for dwarfs. I've been reading a lot about seahorses on RC and the seahorse-specific sites. Most people keep the 'regular-sized' seahorses in 24" high tanks such as a 30-35G hex. Up to a 60G cube (24x24x24) would work. Then, you could keep multiple pairs. Water flow shouldn't be too aggressive and stay away from aggressive fishes, clams, LPS (like euphyllia) and SPS (since they need more rapid water flow) as tank mates.
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast