Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hang On Tank Fuge

Just saw this on eBay and was curious what guys think about this? It's not possible for me to run a sump, so hang on tank is pretty much my only option if I want one.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Refugium-With-Lig...QQcmdZViewItem

Will this even make a difference for me?

I was looking at those too, i like them but I think they are a little expensive because you could make one for less. the only thing is i wouldn't know how to make it "hang on" like that one but i'm sure it is possible.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

How big is your tank?

Hang on refugiums can be useful to grow macro and pods. They will add a little volume and circulation. Typically you will also have a powerhead or at least an intake in the tank though. This unit "hides" the powerhead in an overflow box.

It can be difficult to grow macro inside the display depending on your cleaner crew and fish. And, well, pods will be in your display, but, they will thrive without predators in the refugium.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

My tank is a 55G. It doesn't actually say how many gallons this fuge holds. I guess you could figure it out with its dimensions. Me and Nobez were curious about the bio balls included. I have heard they are not great because if you dont clean them all the time they can be a nitrate factory, but he had heard that they were really good, and helps clean up a tank. Which is the case, and if you were to get one of these, would you keep the bio balls in?

Banned
    If your tank is small enough a modded AC500 might work. Why can't you run a sump? You could always put one in as a header tank.

Banned
    Ah 55, you posted as I was writing. Could the header tank still be an option?

I can't run a sump for a few reasons. There is no room in my stand to house a sump, and I don't have room for it anywhere else. Also I am not in a situation to drill bulk heads in my tank.

What is a header tank?

Banned
    With a header tank you don't drill any holes in the display tank. You drill the sump and hide it somewhere above the display tank. As for the bioballs I'm not a fan of them so I'd ditch them. There are a few other options for hang on's. Here's one and here's another. I like the first better as it's complete setup but you can still make one alot cheaper than anything else.

those also cost a lot more.. CPR makes some as well I have seen on other sites.

Banned
    Sorry, those were just the first ones that I found. Take a look around if you like but I'd just build one. BTW that one is only 3.5g - 4g, not big enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast