Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JHG

10G Tank w/ 10G Sump

Just wondering if running a 10G sump on a 10G tank is possible. My thoughts were to use a power head on the return and an overflow box on the main tank. If this is possible, I'd need some suggestions on the size of overflow box or dimensions to have a place like Acrylic City design this OR if someone knows where I could buy one for a 10G that would be great. It was also recommended to me that an AquaClear 802 should work on the return. Any thoughts? I'm very new to marine aquaria so relish your feedback, suggestions and constructive criticisms.

J
    Marine Aquarium Society of Nova Scotia
    www.masns.ca

theres alot of power heads out there that u can get for return, the important thing is to worry about if it has enough power to carry the water to the height u want and still maintain a good flow.

as for over flow box, u don't need one too big IMO, maybe, say 5"Lx3"Hx2"W

JHG
    How can one know beforehand if a power head is strong enough to push the water up to the main tank (aside from just knowing the gph)? Is it far fetched to want a 10G sump in use on a 10G main tank? I have the extra tank and space so thought it would be a good decision and use of both.
    www.masns.ca

1) Nothing wrong with a 10G sump on a 10G tank. Some people even have sumps which are larger than their main tanks.

2) Reef Central has a calculator to determine the flow rate from a pump based on the design of the return plumbing (http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php). They list a number of power heads but not all of them. That's where I got the MJ-1200 data from.

The return flow (suitability of the pump as a sump return) is not just based on the GPH rating. As one example, the MJ-1200 and the Mag3 both produce about 300 GPH. Most under-the-tank sumps will have a 4-5' vertical return height. WIth the MJ-1200, putting in that height gives a flow of 0 GPH. In contrast, the Mag-3 would give 244 GPH. The difference is to do with the pump design. In general, power heads are not designed to function as return pumps.
    Nick

I have a 10G tank with a 10G sump. I use a MAG3 as return pump thru a SCWD. So it gives me about 200-250 GPH back in the main tank. This is more than enough for a 10G and there isn't a spot in the tank that does not get flow. You can check out my setup by clicking on the link in my signature. I made my overflow box with some acrylic I got from home depot and some acrylic "glue" I got from a local plastic shop. Total cost was less than 10$.

Hope this helps,

Steph

JHG
    Nice setup StephG. Is there a hole drilled in the tank underneath the overflow box? I'm still learning about this stuff so bear with me. No idea on how to make an overflow box. If you're up for it, I'd pay for an overflow box if you could make one for me. Could send the money via PayPal, Money order, etc. Let me know.

I looked up SCWD ((Switching Current Water Director) but am unsure of what this does. Also do you have any diagrams of the sump setup. There looks to be three to four chambers. Is the water from the display tank going through the chamber with the LR, LS, etc. first?

Thanks for the help.

J
    www.masns.ca

the water would ideal go throught a skimmer, then the fuge part (lr/ls/dsb), then over under baffles to minimize microbubbles, lastly to the return pump

scwd are for creating randomized water current in the tank, quite useful, but in a small tank thats not something to worry about

JHG
    Is there a skimmer in Steph's setup? Doesn't appear to be, but maybe I'm missing something.

PS: My coralife bulbs arrived today.
    www.masns.ca

This web site gives lots of useful information about sumps and overflows: http://www.melevsreef.com/
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by JHG
    Is there a skimmer in Steph's setup? Doesn't appear to be, but maybe I'm missing something.

PS: My coralife bulbs arrived today.
    yea you totally did, third or fourth pic down, the one labeled sump/refuge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast