Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Learned My Lesson

Well I learned my lesson. About 6 weeks ago I ordered 2 new fish from JL. Both were fine at first,then next thing I knew they had ICH. And now my 150 gallon FOWLR 13 fish are wiped out.Only 2 fish left are my clowns. I know I should of left well enough alone,as the tank was looking awesome and never had problems ever,But was bored of the same fish for so long.

It was the FIRST time ever having ich in any of my tanks. been doing this for close to 12 years.I'm so pissed I wanna cry.I had some of these fish for 7 years.

My next question is,if I decide to start over. What is the best way to deal with my LR. I got about 300 pounds??? Do I take it all out and boil it? or any good suggestions?

Thanks,

Marcel
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

without host, the Ich paracytes will die within a few weeks, especially if u turn up the heat a bit.

what i don;t get is, did u medicate the tank at all? 13 wipeout, thats gotta stink :crap:

i recommend QT before putting into ur main display next time around

12 years without ich is an amazing streak... wow..

Well if there's no fish left in the aquarium and there's no corals I wonder could you just use a copper treatment and maybe that would take care of ICH. I think copper will treat ICH. But I know that it pretty harmful on Corals.

Another thing is to let the aquarium sit for a certain frame. (Can't remember how long). I think ICH needs fish to live.

I hope this helps. If not i'm sure someone else will chime in. I wish I was home. I have a QT in my house that you could have used. Oh and sorry to hear about all the fishies. I can't imagine how attached you were to those fish that were around for 7 years. Sorry again.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Quote Originally Posted by mike536
    Well if there's no fish left in the aquarium and there's no corals I wonder could you just use a copper treatment and maybe that would take care of ICH. I think copper will treat ICH. But I know that it pretty harmful on Corals.
    If you treat with copper and have LR, sand, etc. in the tank, the copper will get into those sources and make it impossible to keep corals in the future. Better to just let it sit.
    Nick

Let it sit and lower the salinity to 1.010 or lower(hyposalinity if you want do a search on RC).

Sorry about your losses Pluff, its not a fun time I know from experience.

I am REALLY sorry to hear about your loss, i know the feeling.
    I've heard alot of people complaining about ich and lion fish, i always thought they were hardy as they have invaded all parts of the ocean (arctic included!)
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzy
    Let it sit and lower the salinity to 1.010 or lower(hyposalinity if you want do a search on RC).
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I thought hyposalinity was useful for fish WITH ick. If there no fish in the tank then I would simply wait it out for a month. Since you have a pair are fish with no ick I would also wait it out before adding other fish or doing any other treatment.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Ricepiker : Ich can persist in the aquarium if left untreated for months.... even if you turn up the heat there have been several articles in the past showing that ich is very persistent and can be kept around, unless treated it'd just be killing more fish and wasting more money

I think the best way is to treat it with a multi dose marine ich medication... i know there are a few out there that have copper and antifungal medications all in one to wipe it out along with other pesky critters, you can treat you whole tank as one if you can remove the clowns or you can leave them in if you want most of it is fish safe, my worry is that your amm, trites and trates will go through the roof after killing off all the bacteria on your live rock,

Sorry to hear about it man....
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Since there are only two clowns left. I would take them out and treat them in a separate hospital tank with Cupermine (copper) for 14 days; And you need to check/test copper level daily.
    Or do hyposalinity where you gradually reduce the salinity to 1.009 in 2/3 days time and keep it there for 6 weeks ( need to do it with a refractometer). After 6 weeks slowly raise the salinity back to normal level.

Your display tank has to be fishless for 6 weeks for all the ich to die off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast