Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need and explination

I was getting ready to do my water change today and as I braught the pail with fresh salt water to my tank I noticed a fine coat of "white film" all over the pail, pump and heater that was in the water getting it ready. It feels a bit coarse somewhat like the bathroom cleaner "comet" feels like. I obviously decided not to do my water change. The water had been mixing since tuesday with the heater and the powerhead running all the time. I use IO salt with RO/DI water. I'm pretty sure it's not salt that was all over. It doesn't really have a smell. I use a rubbermain container to hold the water. The heater is an all glass aquarium heater and it is 100W. The powerhead is a maxijet 900. Any thoughts on what it might be? Is it safe to reuse the pail, powerhead or heater? What is the most likely culprit?

Thanks,

Steph

What was the pail used for before?
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

The pail has only been used for salt water mixing. I baught it new and I've used it for my water changes for the past year and a bit.

i wouldnt worry about it if it was me. im pretty sure its salt. i mean nothing else as been in there what else could it be.

it could just be dust in the salt, hopefully nothign bad like bucket dissolving

Yes, I would agree too, it would be something like salt creep. I get the same thing too, after leaving the water mature for a few days with the pump and heater. I just rince them when I am done. If things have been fine for over a year, why worry now? :wink5:

:speedbana
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

prolly just a little dust and salt from last time, maybe you were in a rush

i wouldn't worry about it.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

especially if the bucket was dry, anything going in that salt water would be toast.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I get this as well sometimes. never an issue. just something that precipitated out of the mix.

I had this happen. It was white solids in the water that looked like cleaning detergent. It's the salt bonding to something in the water. In my case I used dechlorinator with warm tap water and dumped in salt. Mixed it by hand and had clumps that looked bad. I did use it for water change, it made the tank look bad, but then dissolved minutes later.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast