Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie question

newbie question

Im not new to SW aquariums but it has been awhile.
    Question is.Im looking to get a 180 gal.
    What would i need for a reef set-up?
    I would just like to have corals,inverts,sea horses and a very few fish(gobys wrasse etc)
    Would a refugium be a good idea and how about a protien skimmer?

Hope you all can help?

jim

sea horses will NOT live in a 180, they won't be able to find any food

i recommend a sump, divided into three section, with fuge and skimmer in their individual sections

u need lights for corals, shop around for good prices, but more importantly, figure out what u wanna keep before taking the plunge

i agree seahorses won't do too well in a 180.
    but with a 180 you can have some AMAZING things.
    way cooler then seahorses IMO
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I find it odd a sea horse can't find food in a 180 gallon tank but
    he can find it fine in the ocean. :wink5:

Cheers

yea funny how the ocean has an endless supply of food and various habiits for them to hide in... :biglaugh2

As Ricepicker is suggesting, if overfeeding was not a problem in our tanks, then yes it is possible to load up food in the water column for them to graze all day. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury of 'turning off' the equipment - especially in a 180g for a few hours for them to eat. I guess if you're willing to turn a 180g into a large refugium, then I think it would work because that's pretty much what a seahorse habitat would be like. Low current, low light, no predators, no competitors, lots of macro aglae to latch on to, lots of pods to munch on 24/7. It can be done, but you have to pretty much dedicate this tank to them and expect little or no 'action' within it. If this is what you had in mind, then by all means go for it. They are very cool creatures.
    George

I was thinking the same thing but they are PPswimmers

some people have luck with guppies and mollies

Well I guess i will forget about the horse for now.What i was wanting to know is:

substrate
    filters
    skimmers
    refugiums
    lighting

Are these all nessasary?Do I use sand or crushed gravel.I have some boxes of really nice redish fine crushed up shells i picked up at flagglers beach in florida last year.Would it work.Should I buy live sand.Im going to run a wet/dry.Should turn it into a refugium and add the protien skimmer?

Im starting from scratch with a new 180 gal reef tank.Hopefully drilled from big als.

Does this sound good so far?

jim

Jim, why forget about what you want.

In the ocean sea horses seam to find more that enough food to feed themselves. And it is much bigger on there reef than in a 180.

I will agree that in a 20 gallon tank they have a 100 percent chance of survival, but If you build your tank around there special habitat you will succeed. Really all your need is the food source, and a tank built around there special needs and a fuge for food will do just fine.

I would do research on the animals you want to keep then do exactly what you plan - keep the animals you choose. Understanding the animals we keep is the whole key to a successful tank
    The Zoo Keeper
    Favorite Quote
    For all at last return to the sea- to Oceanus, the ocean river, like the ever-flowing stream of time, the beginning and the end.- Rachel Carson, 'The Sea Around Us', 1950

Quote Originally Posted by jimskoi
    Well I guess i will forget about the horse for now.What i was wanting to know is:

substrate
    filters
    skimmers
    refugiums
    lighting

Are these all nessasary?Do I use sand or crushed gravel.I have some boxes of really nice redish fine crushed up shells i picked up at flagglers beach in florida last year.Would it work.Should I buy live sand.Im going to run a wet/dry.Should turn it into a refugium and add the protien skimmer?

Im starting from scratch with a new 180 gal reef tank.Hopefully drilled from big als.

Does this sound good so far?

jim

The substrate is personal preference. some like argonite sand, others like finely crushed corals and some like course crush corals. if you use something that doesn't come from the ocean you should be weiry that it doesn't mess with your pH.
    with a drilled tank you will most likely have a enough filtration. but i would think about the amount of flow you with to have.

skimmers and refuges aren't necessary but since your going big i would have the sump and skimmer together. the refuge can go off of the sump or direct from the tank
    really up to you.

lighting depends on what your keeping.
    corals need more like then fish
    some need more then other This is wher it generally gets the most pricy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast