Extreme Newbie...No tank yet, just thinking about it.

Hello,

I have been pondering the idea of getting a saltwater tank, and would like some input. I have never kept an aquarium before, and have read that one should have experience with freshwater before diving into saltwater (pun intended), but I really enjoy the beauty of marine aquariums. Also, I'm sure my two year old daughter would love a 'Nemo' of her own. I have a few questions I need cleared up before I decide to delve into the hobby:

-Could someone suggest some readings for an absolute beginner?
    -Do I need to have a overflow/sump/refuge setup, or are they just to hide equipment?
    -How much money would I be looking at spending for a 55galon SW aquarium, assuming I could find some equipment used?

Thank you in advance for your help, guys. I really eant to do the research and make sure Im up for it before I invest a lot of effort/money into this hobby.

:help: :help: :help: READ AS MANY BOOKS AS YOU CAN. SEARCH THE NET FOR INFO.AS FOR COSTS ,IT ALL DEPENDS ON WANT YOU WANTT TO KEEP. CORALS SOFT OR HARD? I DONT THINK IT FAR FETCHED TO SAY IT COSTS ABOUT $40 PER GALLON.DON'T BUY A AQUARIUM KIT? IN THE LONG RUN ALL YOU WILL STILL BE USING IS THE TANK AND THE HEATER. AS YOU WILL UPGRADE LIGHTING AND FILTRATION. GET THE TANK DRILLED AND USE A SUMP/FUGE. AS YOU WILL WISH YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT DOWN THE ROAD.I WISH I DID.IT ADDS MORE VOLUME TO YOUR SYSTEM AND MAKES MATAINENCE EASIER.ALL THAT SAID IF YOU CHOSE TO NOT GO DOWN THAT ROUTE YOU CAN STILL HAVE A NICE TANK .EG 55 G TANK $150 HEATER $25 POWER COMPACT LIGHTS $350 CORALIFE SUPERSKIMMER $ 200 FLUVAL 404 $150 SALT AND ARAGONTIE $150. YOUR NOW AT $1000 AND YOU STILL HAVE NO FISH CORALS , LIVE ROCK. SAVE UP BUY QUALITY PRODUCTS AND PATIENCE.READ , READ , READ, TO MUCH INFORMATION NEVER HURTS!! : :help:

Welcome!

There are loads of stuff you can learn from the hobby, i think you did a great job by making a post and asking questions.
    you'll find there are many different ways in which things are done and there are many situations that have no right way of doing things.

The first think you should do is decide exactly what you want to have in your tank.
    Nemo is a common beginner 'want' but as you get in you'll realize that there are way Cooler/neater/interisting/better looking things that you may end up wanting.

I would first suggest browzing this site looking at pictures and drop by you Local Fish Store (LFS) to see what they have. (try to get someone who accually has a SW tank)

I know i didn't answer any of your questions
    but take you time to learn, it will save you a Load of $$$$ in the long run

Gook luck
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I'm also a beginner, I started with a kit and I'm already adding/replacing stuff. Because I'm in an apartment, I'm pretty limited so I have a 29G.

I'm positive my next setup will be 'all out' but I don't think this is too bad for a start.

I'm at about a little over $850 so far with aragonite and LR... awaiting my cycle.
    2.5g pico: 2lbs live rock, that's it for now.

liv
    i find that most books have stuff that is usually too old by the time it gets published.
    you are far better off ( in my mind ) reading on forums like this one. if you are handy with some powertools etc.. you can DIY lots of stuff and save a bundle. don't bother building your own aquarium unless you go super big.. the store prices can't be beat.
    like 20g tank for like 24$ when on sale.. or lately.. we seen 77g for 100$ at big alls.

like everyone said, all depends on what size you want, what you want to keep and most importantly.. how easy you want it to be to maintain. keep in mind that live rock (LR) usually looks good in a tank when its setup for 1 to 1.5 lbs of LR per Gallon of water so think that ~80lbs min is needed for a 77g (80x 7$lbs = 560$ ) for rock alone.

Banned
    My advice is to go to the LFS with a pen and paper. Take a look at some of the stuff there and write down the names. When we know what you want to keep weíll know what all youíll need (or should have).

A sump with a refugium is a good idea as itíll increase your water volume and give you a place to hide your equipment. Is it needed no but, itíll help. Being a beginner a skimmer is a must. Get one that is double what your total water volume is. If youíre going to have a sump/fuge get your tank drilled. That will save a lot of potential problems. After you have an idea of what you want to keep the rest of your equipment needs will be known.

Don't forget, this will not be cheap. I've spent about $7500 on my 40g system.

BTW, congrats on asking first. Most donít and learn the hard way.

Thanks for all your help guys!

I plan to start into the hobby extremely slowly, as I can't justify big purchases. If I aqcuire the equipment intermintantly, hopefully I'll fly under the radar and my bitter half won't realize how much everything really costs. I plan to start by buying a tank and stand, then adding to it when I can. I saw a used 100g /w metal stand in the Peterborough Examiner for $50. I haven't inquired yet, by I'm willing to bet it's cracked!

Deleted: Thanks for the tip! I've been browsing these and other community forums and have seen some interesting stuff. I'll have to put together a wish list on this thread to ensure they all get along and what they require.