Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SW equipment, fuses, and power strips

An appropriately naive question for the 'Just getting started' column ...

I've been mulling over all the equipment that I'll need to plug into my power strip for my reef aquarium (powerheads (3?), lights (3 ballasts), heaters (2)) and so far I've reached a body count of 8. I'm sure I'm missing something too.

My question is ... can I plug them all into one powerstrip without blowing a fuse? Or should I use two separate powerstrips? Two separate outlets? Two separate apartments?

(This question never really arose in my freshwater days as I just used a heater, a fluorescent light and a power bio-filter thingy. Ah, the simplicity!)

Regards,

Nighty

Nighty,
    The canadian Electrical Code. States that a 15 amp overcurrant breaker can handle 80% of the load rating this gives you 12 amps or 1440 watts to use for your tank if its the only receptical in the circuit. If you have other receptical in-use with loads you have less watts.

To figure out what u will use in power
    find the wattage and divide it by 120 volt this will give you amps no more than 12 amps on a circuit if u stay under 12 you will not blow fuse
    hope this helps
    orion

Orion just about summed it up nicely. I will just add that it's always a good idea to do a drip loop with any plugs when it comes to SW. What this is, is simply letting the wire hang lower than the plug at the end is when in anoutlet which makes a loop for any water to run down and drip off of rather than running along the wire into the socket. As everyone knows SW and electrons enjoy each others company very much!!!!

one other thing dont forget G F C I these guys will save your life if theres a electrical fault.

ijo
    hrrhrrmm John!!!! Just looking out for you buddy!!

yes, $10 and about 15min to swap in a GFCI outlet is a good investment/life insurance to make....
    thanks.
    thien

also, if you have two outlets that are usable, but are on different fuses/breakers, use one plug from each, that way if one happens to fail, you still have some of your equipment going. i had two dedicated 15 amp breakers with two separate plugs installed just for my aquarium to ensure no hassles or worries.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Good tip about the drip loop. I'm heading up to do it now. I don't know why I didn't think of it when I was setting up.
    As usual just surfing through entries has paid off.

Just read these replies after being buffeted by the wind from work to home. It is awful out there!

Thank you for all the responses. From them, think I'm safe with the one outlet ... hopefully ... we'll see when I add up all the equipment!

Nighty

dont forget a plug for your protein skimmer and any "extras" you may want to add i.e. thermometer, monitors, etc.
    my surge protector is already full and i of course need "just one more" outlet. until then i am running my monitor on battery.
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast