Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Southdown sand

Thanks for the heads up. I'll still search but not too long. I guess it's time to call in some favours south of the border.

The price has gone up since it's owned by Old Castle at a whopping $4 something a bag. You won't get any Canadian HD's to get it for you. They're simply not allowed. They get their playsand here from Dubois although it's the brown Silica based type. Yo can find it easilty though in different areas in NY state New Hampshire, etc... I have bought it numerous times and is what I've always been using.

There is a new sand getting alot of attention in southern Ontario callled BOMIX. It's available at RONA stores down here. Look on some fo the other boards for BOMIX in the threads. So far it's great stuff. I haven't seen or used it yet but have seen alot of hype about it. I hate to advertise other boards on here but you can find them...

Good Luck
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Touche,

I've seen the Tropical Play Sand at Reno here on the south shore, bought 4 bags for the kids sandbox.

Great stuff, now it's full of cat shit and I'll be damned if I'm gonna go through that for my 220!

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

ijo
    hahaha... either I'm tired or you guys are really funny tonight!!! good one Van

IJO

I followed up on the suggesion of BOMIX sand. The Rona store on Innes road (Ottawa) has a skid of BOMIX white play sand. I picked up 4x22.5kg bags for $20 (including tax). At that price, I figured I hadn't much to lose and I'd use it for other things if it turned out no good for my tank. It passes the 'vinegar test' (as already reported). It sure is white :-) Beyond that, I'm not sure what I should look for. Unless I get negative comments, I intend to try it and see what happens.

Nick.
    Nick

It works great!!!!!

Just remember its going to take your tank a week or so to clear up!

Didn't someone on this board do a test with the Bomix sand against regular CC and found that the Bomix sand didn't support life for some reason?
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

I doubt it.. its the same thing.. Argronite based Sand.. same as Southdown.. Just a finner partical

ijo
    Reeferboy... yeah Richard(clownfish breeder) did the test side by side with CC. Its on thsi board somewhere... I'll look around for the thread.

IJO

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast