Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Southdown sand

I found the thread you were mentioning:

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...x&pagenumber=4

The relevant post is about 2/3 of the way down the page. There were also some comments from another user (venkiw) reported lost worms and problems with 'sand storms' due to the smaller particles. Wondering if I jumped the gun here?
    Nick

ijo
    Thank you Nickb :thumb:

To save you some time... here is Richard results.

Begin Quote:
    Re: SouthDown
    TRUE PERC, That I believe is exactly what is sold by BOMIX at RONA. JEFF bought some and did a vinegar test and presto! it reacted. I have some right now in my refugium. It is in a clear bag and just says playsand. You could do the first few inches with this and then a few bags of reefsand for looks.
    End Quote:

The verdict is in on this sand. Unfortunately, it doesn't look good. Some people have mentioned that because it is crushed the rough shape is not 'friendly' to living creatures. I believe this is correct. Here's my little experienment:

I filled 2 10 gallon tanks in my grow out system with about 5" of sand. One was the real thing (bought at MS) and the other was the bomix stuff from Rona. Both were seeded from real live sand and live rock from my breeding system. I started them up a couple of weeks apart and that must have been at least 1 month ago, more or less.

The sand in the tank with the real sand quickly filled up with worms and bugs, all the way down to at least 4 inches.

The sand in the tank with the bomix had only 1 worm that strayed out of the seed (real sand part) sand sprinkled on the surface of the bomix sand, and that worm moved perhaps 1/2" into the bomix sand. No other worm was seen in the bomix sand, although a bunch left paths in the seed sand on the surface.

So as far as those thin little worms go, the bomix sand is not a good environment. I even seeded both tanks with bristle worms from my breeding system (tons of them in there) a few days ago with roughly the same effect.

This is not to say the bomix sand wasn't colonized with bacteria (I have no way of verifying). Since it doesn't support other creatures benificial to overall deep sand bed health, I won't be using it further.

I have 2 bags of the stuff to give away

I really need a cheaper source of the real thing though, since I plan to use a bunch more deep sand beds for nitrate control in my growout systems.
    IJO

These results would seem most important to planning a DSB system. With a thinner substrate layer (1-2"), would these results worry you? Is it appropriate to assume that the problem concerns particle shape/size and not some chemical contaminant (which might also affect organisms remote from the sand)?

Nick.
    Nick

agreed that Crushed Coral does have more corse particals alowing more hiding places for Pods and so on... But having Good live rock you dont need it. ut hten at teh same time Crushed Coral dose not do as well for DSB and for what a DSB can do.

The particles may be so small that it compresses and smothers out any life...
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

bomix

the Bomix stuff works very well. Just buy a few bags of Caribsea or what not and mix it up. I have both types and it looks very nice.The store bought sand is SO expensive so I make like a 4 to1 ratio.

What grain size do you mix it with? Sugar size or larger than that?
    Nick

Well I just bought 6 bags of the biomix, what an amazing price. And like nice for sand that is. I am going to be using it in a newly set up 27 gal and a refugium. I plan on also buying a 15lbs bag of not so fine agranite and mixing it up in both.

I use the Bomix for the bottom 2 inches, (saves money) and then reef sand for the top 2 inches...I have more critters than I can handle at times....I only use the reef sand for the appearance. Over the next few years it'll be all mixed together anyways...

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Bomix is not a aragonite based sand, it is a calcite based sand from wht I have erad on other forums, unlike reported in this thread.

I am using 5" of it in my tank. The worms I lost were part of the die off and had nothing to do with the sand.

I had intial problems with it as the fine dust used to turn my tank milky white even with slight disturbance. After 8 - 10 weeks the sand stabilised due to the formation of bacterial colonies. Futhermore the fine silt settled to the bottom of the tank after this period and does not cause any problems now.

Venki

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast