Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

just starting out

ok fellow reefers(well i shouldnt call myself one yet) im getting a 33 gal tank tommorrow, just a bare tank, im no stranger to the aquarium business, and fish raising ive got 5 other tanks but all are fresh water, im looking at getting this 33 gal drilled and using a 20 gal sump/refug im looking for any good advice on starting up a SW tank..im thinking of going 2 inch sand bed and about 65 lbs live rock and was thinking of going with a 2x65 or 2x95 watt pc ligthing...any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated, ive been studying and researching this for about a year now and figure it s time to start

Thanks
    Craig

ijo
    If your looking to drill the tank yourself.. you might want to take look at I drilled my 90 created by Barry.

Adding 65 pounds of live rock in a 33 should be interesting... then again you could alsways add some in your sump.

If you've been reading up for the last year... your well on your way and going with a drilled tank is definately on the right track. I personaly would go with a bigger tank... but who wouldn't.... hehe

Do keep us updated on your progress and welcome to AC

IJO

(psstt Greg... the welcome banner!!)

The minute you study and read about reef keeping, you are considered a fellow reefer in my books.

There isn't much room in a 33 gallon but that doesn't mean it can't be a beautiful tank. What I would first consider is to have your sump as big as you can fit under your 33. even if it's another 30 gallon. Then make the sump a refugium. Put your Deep sand bed in the refugium and in the main 33 gallon, just put an inch or so of sand. You will only need about 30-40 pounds of Live rock in the 33 (depends on the look you want) and like IJO says, put another 10-20 in the refugium. Burry or hide a couple powerheads in your rock work as in a 33 gallon they would stand out too much if in the open. I did this with my 90 and love it. There are lot of ideas for refugium/sump setups and if you need I can send you a drawing of mine. I also like the hang-on refugiums that IJO sells. They are perfect for the smaller systems and the price can't be beat. (Not a plug Ivan...I just like them...hahaha). As for any other advice, you're in teh right spot....just post away....fellow reefer.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

thanx

thanks IJO, yeah the 65lbs of live rock i was thinking about 40 or so in the tank and 20-25 in the sump/refug...id love to use the 66 gal or 77 gal but my oscars wouldnt like the fit in a 33 gal! thanks for the link on the drilling yourself since im only paying $10 for the 33 gal it might be worth a try depending on what it will cost me locally to have it drilled. again keep any suggestions or advice coming

Craig

Weeble,

If you are looking for somthing to look at you could allways check out my 33G reef tank its been up and running now 3 years and its finally moving into a new home the 100G im currently setting up.

One thing i learned in the begining the hard way was not to IMPLUSE buy.. If you see somthing the LFS has and you want.. just jump online and research it or ask us other reefers.. i have boughten soo much that i should not have and would not have if i knew better !

Got any questions feel free...

Thanks
    Mike
    mlambert@rogers.com

TooLoud....

That's a very nice 33 gallon reef....your brown monti looks kind of orange to me...are you sure it's not an orange monti....or is it just the camera.

Very nice set up though...can't wait to see the bigger tank.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Welcome Weelie!

I kind of new myself in the reef keeping. But I did my reading and surf a lot.
    Here''s a good sit that I fund, extensive info on setup,DIY,sump,close loop....

I not sure if reefer here know that guy but take a look.:blink:

Good luck:thumb:
    30 gl SWFO but upgrating

OUPPPPPPS!

THERE!
    30 gl SWFO but upgrating

When i bought the frag off another reefer he told me it was a brown monti, Now i have added a Orange monti frag to my tank bought again from a fellow reefer and well they look alike! So i guess i cant complain.. lol

NO DID''INT WORK!

http://www.melevsreef.com/

AND NOW?
    30 gl SWFO but upgrating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast