Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC or DSB

CC or DSB

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of getting ready to start a new tank. (Moving up from a 30 to a 75).

At this point I have 2'' CC base but I've been reading quite a bit about DSB.
    My problem is:

1. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and I haven't been able to find a supplier close by for Southdown. (Unless someone around here has a source or alternate)

2. What kind of problems could I see arising if I do end up having to run a CC base?

I would only like to do this once (for a while anyways) and I'm trying to narrow down the supplies I'll require prior to moving the LR into it's new home.
    Thanks

I have a 2" CC base and my tank has been doing very well for almost 2 years. All parameters have been perfect since the initial cycle. And I do tend to overstock my tank.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Hi Scooby, I live in Halifax and currently have a 55 gallon with CC substrate. My tank is only 5 months old. The problem I've been having and it is common for CC, is keeping it clean looking and my nitrates below 10mg/l. I do 15% water changes every two weeks, at which time I vaccum the CC extensively. It stays clean for a week then it starts to get that 'dirty'look again. I have good water flow (at least 10x my volume per hour) and I try not to overfeed. My nitrates are at an acceptable level I just can't get them lower. It could be the substrate or possibly my cannister filter or a combination of the two. Anyway, I'm seriously considering changing to a DSB. Let me know if you find a good supplier locally. Have you checked Home Depot?

If you use a CC base, you have to siphon it out every once in a while. It's still good stuff to use. I would have a refugium on that system and keep a DSB in the refugium to get the benefits of it. I prefer to use a small layer of either CC or Sand in teh main tank, and have the DSB in a large refugium. Just my opinion.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I wouldn't vacuum the CC, that is where all the good things live. My substrate is super white. It went through a few diatom blooms over the first 6 months and now it is perfect.
    You have to let the sponges/feather dusters grow so they will help filter the water.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

I only vaccum or siphon a 1/4 of the CC each month. There are still tons of critters left. I remove alot of dead waste each time. Then again, my CC is not deep and I rely on my DSB in teh refugiums for my critter life. My CC is almost all purple with coralline now so the white is not there anymore.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I agree with not syphoning the CC... We have a CC sand bed in a 10g nano.. and althought it gets dirty much more quickly we just go ahead and stir it up once a month to clean it up.. althought stirring it up is nt the best, I think its better than syphoning out the good stuff.

I would say neither. I am one of those people that have gone the DSB route and am now believing in only about 1/2" of sand to cover the bottom. I will be doing a DSB in a remote sump when I actually do my upgrade to my bigger tank. Recently there has been much debate on the longterm effects of a DSB and I have experienced it.
    I also wouldn't recommend CC. It gets too dirty for a reef environment. There are those that believe stirring the gravel a bit every now and then is good for supplying food to the corals.

ok, sorry for the dumb question, but does CC stand for "Crushed Coral" or "Caribsea"
    thanks.
    thien

Not a dumb question at all. I believe (and take this with a grain of salt as I'm new as well) that CC is crushed coral.

At least that is what I was referring to when I started this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast