Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

number of powerheads needed for my tank

How many power heads are recommended on a 54 gallon tank? I was going to get 2 Maxi Jets and possibly get the mods for them....any suggestions?
    I want a bigger tank! :biglaugh2

what kind of power head, gph, what kinda stuff u keeping? ur not telling us much...

here is some more info.

keeping soft corals...nothing too difficult to keep. for example, zoos, mushrooms, xenias, polyps, candy canes, anemones, brains etc.

the tank dimensions are 36" long, 20" high and 18" deep.

I was going to buy maxijet power heads but not sure what size I would get but I will probably get the upgrade flow kit for them

Total flow is supposed to be around 10x tank volume for softies/lps I believe so 500-600 GPH total for the tank sounds about right. To avoid dead spots you might want to consider going with lower flow maxi-jets and putting more of them in the tank?

ok cool...maybe 3 maxi jet 900s? also...what do you guys think of those power bars that act like wave makers?

depends on the powerhead, they can be damaging...

more power heads would casue heat issues... on my home tanks i don't even use heater, the power heads alone creat enough heat...

but a tank that size i'd use 2-3 MJ1200 with mods

what about a closed loop system or a return form a sump, those will also create flow

in my 72 which has yet to get going mind you, i'll have 2 high flow moded mj1200, 2 medium mj1200s, a closed loop on a mag 7 and a return from a mag 9.5 and one regular mj1200
    they'll be on a natural wave system to add some alternate flow

Im not going with closed loop...I just wanna keep things simple...I like the idea of 2 moded mj1200s though. plus the flow from the return will help.

I heard of a few people running modded mjs using powerbar type wave makers...Id love to find out more details about their setups though

In my 77g I have 3 mj1200 and feel that there is only one spot in front that is not covered. But all my Lps for exemple and my zoos and mushroom are growing like crazy.

What kind of return pump are you looking at for your return flow?

Fred
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

I havnt decided on what return pump I was gonna use...I have a small 30G setup right now thats doing great...Im just planning and piecing everything out. Im picking up the tank tomorrow. Then I was gonna get it drilled and work on the stand. I think Im gonna use the 30G I have right now as the sump. I think it should be big enough. Then plan out what skimmer Im going to get. I think Im gonna start with the Coralife super skimmer (90-220 gallon)....and piece by piece get it running. Ive been researching for around a year now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast