Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I like the link posted by TippyToex in the Reef Central link posted by Nick - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/staticlgtg.htm

Vickie

Actually that is a decient article. I think it's putting a bit too much emphasis on cost savings though.

I'd say from that article indoor gardening and reef lighting does have a lot in common.

First off, sure it's usually less expensive to buy 1 250W light instead of 2 175W lights. However you need to factor in the cost of your rail system. Over time you'll save money (power, replacement bulbs) but inital start up costs are the same or more for a moving system.

Secondly, static lighting with overlapping areas provides the same light intensity all the time it's on. I'm not going to say this doesn't work well, it does. I have experiance with this from gardening & I'm sure many people will vouch for it on corals.

But the sun moves across the sky each day. Neither plants nor corals evolved expecting a constant intensity of light on all sides. I'm going to have to poke around more on reef central, but it would appear that a moving system does have advantages, one of which may be the health of your livestock.

Is it a significant one or worth the time, effort, and money? Got me

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Krugar, IMO many articles are written with an eye on cost savings because this is an expensive hobby. As an expensive hobby, cost is something that people always want to know.

Based on my research, static lights will do the job (there is no question about that) but track lights are more true to nature. Other than "bushier" corals, I did not find any significant difference. The systems that had track lighting were also systems that had all the toys including controlers and monitors, etc. I don't remember any "basic" system (less than about 100 gal. without ca reactors, controllers, etc) that had track lighting. The pictures that I looked at showed excellent tanks but whether from the track lighting or the other "toys" I don't know. I guess this is something you will have to make your own decision about.

Vickie

FWIW - We still plan on track lighting at a future date (probably many years down the road) since we have the controller and have access to the industrial track, etc.

I agree with you Vickie and I can't find anything conclusive to show enough of an improvement to justify putting in the rail system.

There's many other things that would have a much higher impact on overall health that I'd get first.

I think we're in the same boat, after everything else is done I'd look at putting a moving track in.

Cheers & thanks for the info

A long dormant thread but some discussion over on RC are relevant to the light tracking suggestion from Krugar. Maybe more value to it then I was suggesting earlier. Thought you might find the link of interest:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...postid=4128186
    Nick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123