Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Aqua .. The K rating is directly related to the color the bulbs will deliver. It is not something to be intimidated or not intimidated by. It just a rating so one can chose the bulbs they feel will best suit the job they expect them to do. I knew when I got the bulbs that they were delivering what "looks" like a higher K rating. I don't know if in fact they are delivering 14 K or just the 10K they are rated at. I just know that they light the tank better the the coral views I was using so I am a happy camper.
    Rob

Question AQUA

not sure what ya mean ''intimadated by K '' Its known that VENTURE makes there own lamps and lamps for other companys. In some of the contracts VENTURE cannot make the same lamp [K rating] because of the contract. PFO use to have the 13k 250w lamp but discontinued it. the lamp was believed to be a VENTURE lamp.Now, VENTURE has a 10k that looks Indentical to the one they made for PFO AT 13K.
    what does it mean? not much but most people graduate from 65k to higher K because they look better and so usually the cost rises as well. Also, I find theres lots of lamps out there now but only a few quality products.

Very good example would be bulbs with 20K ratings. Point is that it can’t be measured, but some ppl are reporting how their tanks are responding much better to 20K lights but they have no clue what real K rating of these bulbs is. 20 “K” should be twice as good as 10”K”. Or maybe not?
    Some other bulbs have same real measurement in terms of spectral output, PAR and so on but they are rated or advertised as 10K,13K 16K and so on. Too many are going just for higher “K” without really knowing what they are getting.
    If you spend $$$ to change bulbs you better see a difference.
    And that is what most ppl see or do they wish to see.
    No question that you will see change if you go from NO lights to MH. That one is too easy to see. I consider MH update when time comes but so far I am doing well with all NO lights. At least no funny “K” numbers there.
    Anyway right lighting is one that you and your corals are happy with even I think that most of it is BS. Have seen too many ppl going for higher K-rated bulbs without really knowing what they are getting. Higher “K” number is good enough for them.
    Not good for me.
    I do apologize to anyone that I may offend.
    As I stated earlier I can be very wrong on this issue.
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

Talking

nothing personal bud but if you don't use MH lighting then its hard for ya to really pass judgement. most people in fact do know what there getting in respects to K rating. basically K rating is just the blue spectrum output, the higher you go the bluer you get.[in a nutshell]. lamps are measured and most lamps are true [most!] there is a lot of knockoffs that can be hit or miss but if you've owned MH and have try'd different lamps over a few years you would most definatly know the DIF between 65k and 10k and 20k.

Nice Looking lights....Salty... Are you still running Actinics with them

No I am only running the MH bulbs. I prefer to keep it simple and have had good results running only MH in the past. Time will tell ... when I start adding corals etc to the new tank that is coming.
    Rob

OSD, are you running the Ventures on Pulse or Probe start ballasts?
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

I have them on standard PFO tar ballasts. I don't know if these ballasts are probe or pulse type... I never looked in to it. Would that info be on the ballast somewhere?
    Rob

I am not sure, I thought there was only EYE ballasts for Iwaki's and then the M58 ballasts but now I see there are pulse and probe ballasts.
    PFO Tar ballasts are Probe ballasts you have to specify if you want pulse which are good for higher K rated Euro bulbs.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

If I am not mistaken these will run all bulb types so I did not look to much into the details about them. I am really happy with the light this combo produces and I am continuing to use them over my 225 gall setup. They are doing a good job there as well.
    Rob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast