Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Odd. I have the 4 MDQX-SC, same as yours only mine has the X in it, no idea what the difference is. It's running the skimmer on the new tank. With the cabinet door closed (no insulation) I don't hear a thing and it's only about 3 or 4 feet away from me at my desk here.
    Susan

That pump is louder for some reason. Maybe because it's pressure rated?

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Hey Johnny, try changing the impellor and shaft on the pump. I have a 2mdsc on my calcium reactor and after 6 monthes the thing sounded like a monster. The grit from dissloved calcium had done a number on the impellor and once I changed it, it purred like a kitten....well... a kitten with a deviated septum...but it was WAY quieter!!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Is that pump using a ceramic shaft Reefmutt? The last Little Giant I had was a solid direct drive stainless steel shaft. Mind you that was many years ago.
    Rob

Reefmutt, I sold the pump to Johnny. It was basically brand new, I only used it for few hours. I had bought it for my DIY skimmer but it ended up not working out, so I sold the pump. There should be nothing wrong with the shaft or impeller, since it was hardly used.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Cool

yep, looks brand new. I guess maybe its because its pressure rated? FLAME ANGEL said her non pressure pump was pretty quiet. oh well, I won't be buying this model again. I'm going to insulate my sump area but didn't want to have to. some say it'll quiet down a bit after awhile. we'll see. I like to try different stuff so its a good learning experience.

The 4MDQX-SC pump is much quieter.... the "X" is for flow-rated operation if I'm not mistaken....

When selecting a Little Giant pump, it is frequently stated on BBS threads that the 3MD models are much quieter than the 4MD pumps.... my experience shows this to be true.
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

my BlueLine70 is also noisier than i like. Perhaps i will try that styrofoam box method. i saved the ones from shipping.
    does it need to be vented? the front of my cabinet has doors and the back is open, so i'm deciding if it would be quieter to leave the back side open (directing the sound at the wall/open back of the stand) or to leave the front open (directing the noise to the closed cabinet doors).
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12