Plastic screws for skimmer flange

I'm trying to get some plastic screws to hold the two sections of my skimmer together. I went to Canus Plastics in Ottawa and they don't have anything that would work. I've seen some at Canadian Tire but the plastic they are made of is very soft so they wouldn't last long. Does anyone know where I could get screws made of a hard plastic that would be able to be tightened enough to keep my skimmer from leaking at the gasket?

The nylon fasteners offered at Canadian Tire and other such places are standard fare and you won't be finding anything "harder"....

I'd suggest that if you have to tighten the screws down so hard on that skimmer flange so that the gasket won't leak, you may want to consider using an O-Ring instead.

This would require an O-Ring groove machined into 1 of the 2 flanges with 3 "spacers" glued to the outer edge of the machined face on that flange. Position these at an equal distance from each other.

The machined groove will prevent the O-Ring from twisting or distorting when the 2 flanges are tightened, the most common cause of O-Ring leaks when a groove is not implemented into the design....

These spacers would prevent the over-compression of the O-Ring as well as keep the 2 flanges parallel to each other for optimum sealing effect.

In this case, over-torquing of your nylon screws shouldn't be an issue....

As a last resort you may consider inserting 3 thin plastic strips at an equal distance at the gasket edge so as to ensure the 2 flanges are parallel and the gasket will have an equal compression all around....
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

I haven't leak tested the skimmer so I don't know that it will leak. The flanges that I built are 2 inches wide and I made a neoprene gasket the same size as the flange. I have drilled 8 holes around the flange so that I will have one screw every 3 inches. Do you figure that the standard screws are good enough or should I modify the design and use O-Rings instead?

Marty,
    Most people (myself included) have those softer plastic screws on the skimmer flanges. They shouldn't be tightened so hard that it becomes an issue with those screws. As Reefvan said, they are standard fare for the skimmers. You should tighten them just enough so that they are tight, not overtightened.

O-Rings are best but you can also also make your own gaskets from suitable flat rubber stock like engine re-builders do when their in a pinch. Just trace the shape onto the flat stock and cut it out with a hobby knife. Punch the screw holes with a single hole punch
    Rob

Thanks for the tips. I made my own gaskets from flat rubber so I'll give it a shot with the plastic screws from Canadian Tire. There will be about 4 feet above the flange so I hope it won't leak. I'll bring it outside and fill it with tap water to see if it holds water before I hook it up. If not, I'll try using O-rings. Do the O-Rings just lie flat on the flange or should I make little groves for them to sit in?

Thanks again,l
    Marty

you wont need the o-ring ,the water wont make any pressure on the gasket

Not for a skimmer it shouldn't... a KW reactor or Calcium reactor runs under pressure and O-Rings should definitely be considered to avoid leaks...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

I'll put the skimmer together tonight and fill it with water to see if anything leaks.

Thanks again