Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There are several reasons that I think I have a PH problem right now;

1-I do not have coral crushing or any substrate that is capable of buffering the water(big mistake that i did there,but I bought 80 pnds of corals crushings and will replace most of my substrate next week)

2-I have shut down my skimmer for the last 3 weeks(By the way I got my new lifereef skimmer yesterday...:happy2: )
    3-I have messy carnivore eaters and shitters
    4-I need a water change asap
    5-my orp monitor is Broken so I cant Tell If My system going downhill except with my ph

I have 4 maxi jet 1200 and one 900 with a wave maker,With a fluval 304 in line with a uv light.There is plenty of water movement in the tank.

I need to get home ASAP ...well first to see my GF:lovebirds ehehe and second to take care of that tank and install that new skimmer......well 3 days to go
    Derik...

hey volitan, as soon as you make her a wife, she'll be able to add buffer for you.
    Perhaps a Calcium Hydroxide drip would take you a long way in keeping your pH up. i too dont have a skimmer (never) and only change water about 10-15% a month (not on a regular schedule - just when i have time) but dont have any pH problems. what are your Ca and Alk levels at?
    Albert
    My Photos

I will have to get back to you on that,ive been gone for a month I will check the param. and let you know....I figure that my alk is off....my calcium is prob around 300......

Well i do have one I just got it yesterday,a lifereef skimmer....apparently there pretty good.....why dont you use a skimmer
    Derik...

i dont use a skimmer b/c my tank seems to run fine without one. i used to run one when i first started my first tank. i took it off one day to clean it out a bit (maintenance) and at the same time was reading about many people who run successful tanks without skimmers (i agree its the minority, but if it worked for others, it may actually be something that will work for me as well). so i tried leaving my skimmer off ready to put it back on should i notice any bad side effects. (it was replaced with a hang-on refugium woth macroalgae growing under 24/7 lighting). and lo and behold, the tank did not miss the skimmer at all. so i sold my skimmer and enjoyed the added benefit of not skimming out trace elements, plankton, and all the other good stuff that gets thrown out with the bath water. the macro algae does a fine job of using up the nutrients, and my corals seemed to be even opening up more. and as i mentioned above, i dont even do large/frequent water changes. i like to have it more set up as an ecosystem. so with my new tank i have just set up a large sump which is used as a refugium with macroalgae and 24/7 lighting, and there is not one drop of algae in my display tank. people like the skimmer because they see all the gunk that comes out, but IMO much of that "gunk" would have otherwise been swallowed up by the corals or algae.
    Albert
    My Photos

I sort of agree with you, because It is a closed system. There is schnitz coming from these fishes and In there ocean It does not have any effect whatsoever.That shnitz is not all that good for life in there....there basically living in there poopy...to me its important that some of that poopy is taken out.I dont see how that gunk would be benifical to your corals.....But hey I dont have any corals and don't know much about them............My lfs DO not have any skimmers either and his tanks are spectacular.....i mean all his livestock is goergous...........But why break a winning combination ....it works great for you and you have the benifit to put a refugium on your tank,I wish I had palce for that.........One day maybe
    Derik...

ALRHA, I noticed the same thing and decided to experiment with it as well. I set up an under the tank sump/refugium - the refugium is load with two types of macro, and the water flows through a fair amount of LR rubble before going to the return pump. As the macro grew, I noticed the skimmer started to skim less and less...I even thought the skimmer was broken, so I gave it a thorough cleaning, set it back up and waited until it broke in to start skimming again...and it barely skimmed. I continued testing the nitrates and was getting barely noticeable to 0. So I unplugged the skimmer pump and have been testing the nitrates every other day...and still nothing...the macro grows like crazy, still I'm assuming there pulling the nasties out of the water. I'm also a big fan of the ecosystem method, so this works for me. One difference is a I don't run the fuge 24/7 - no caulapera, so I don't have the crash worries - I give the macros a little darkness which is suppose to be better for the photosyntic cycles...oh and the I didn't sell me skimmer, it's still attached just in case
    Keep passing the open windows!

Is there any way of doing, say, a hang on fuge? I might be interested in something like this if it meant I didn't have to mess around with drilling holes and such. And if so how would it work...Now that's a loaded question...Bring on the loaded answers, I'm ready for 'em!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

i dont use caulerpa either. i use chaeto.
    dont know the benefits though of full/half day lighting.
    Albert
    My Photos

sure there is. CPR makes one.
    Albert
    My Photos

Lots of people have hang on fuge..hopefully somebody here will share there experience...even better start a new thread on it
    Derik...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast