ARC bulb question...

Was wondering about the ARC 250 watt 14k halide bulb... What type of ballast do I need with this bulb and will I need to suppliment with attinics, also what type of color do these bulbs give out? They seem very reasonably priced and am wondering if they give off a yellowish color. If I do need attinics where can I buy a workhorse 7 ballast?

liv
    Hi, the 14k 250w mh bulb will give out a nice blue coloring, no need to supplement unless you need more white. no yellowish color at all. a regular "tar" ballast will work great or get a nice electronic ballast sold here. They will save your some hydro but not much, the main advantage is in the low noise, high fidelity, faster re-spark and low heat, the price is great for such device, if you got the cash go for it.. you wont regret the quality.
    Tar is not always fun.. wiring mess, high voltages..

You will also need a "mogul" socket for the bulb.. also sold here ~ 10$.

If you want a tar ballast, the "ANSI" code is M58.
    Your local lighting specialized store should have those readily available.

The workhorse7 ballast can be bought on this site.

Oh, Could you put your city name under your location, so that someone may refer you to a local store or provide additional support.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks LIV I thought that with just a halide bulb that yu couldn't have the dawn and dusk effect for corals I was wondering if I had to add2 attinics to give that effect (why I was asking if you sold the workhorse ballast)... My plans are as follows..
    Right now I have a 45 gal tank and am in the process of upgrading to a 75 gal custom tank and will have 2x 250 halides over and attinics (possibly) but for not I notice my carpet has been reaching up for light I'm assuming and thought why not just get it now and I 'll have it for later as well but for now I would only put 1 250 watt halide over the tank with possible attinics... With the electronic ballast can I hook up 2 x 250 watt halides up to it if I wired them together ?

liv
    Hi Mp123,

most ballasts are built for only one bulb.
    double ballasts have two ballasts in one.
    if you want 2 bulbs it will require a dual ballast or 2 independed ballasts.

the dawn to dusk effect is supposebly eye pleasing only as most corals wont adapt to it as its still unnatural. *(you are really doing it for yourself )... or so i read.

I just thought that with a 250 bulb it would be more of a shock to the corals than anything else but if that is the case then If I get the double ballast that you have here at aquaria can I only hook up 1 bulb for now on my 45 gal tank ?

liv
    sure you can, just make sure you monitor your heat. rule of thumb: 1 mh will cover 2'x2' so on a 4feet tank you would need two. on a 6'=3mh ....

get yourself some fans to blow the hot air away from the tank. lots of people use pc case fans. they run on low dc voltage, safe and cheap to run.. and quiet.