Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

kalkwasser and calcium reactor

I would like to know whats the difference and which one is more needed.

Kalkwasser is to make the calcium stable as the calcium reactor is to make it goes up?

Thank you
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

the kalkwasser raises the pH a lot as well and cant be added too much at a time (just pretty much at the evaporation rate). The reactor can run full time to add as much calcium as you need, but is a much more complex system requiring CO2 tanks and the like.
    Albert
    My Photos

wont hte calcuim stay are it will aways goes up?
    the kalkwasser can do the same thing then? but it will also raise pH and dont need CO2?
    Richard

600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

the calcium gets used up by the corals, so it depends on the calcium needs of your tank. if the kalkwasser is enough, then it is simpler to use. if it can not meet your demands, you will have to either use a supplement, or use a reactor.
    correct.
    Albert
    My Photos

so hte kalkwasser is not as needed as a calcium reactor?
    i could simply do my supplement by myselft as its not a everyday supplement?

In a couple of months, i want to have some SPS... so its better to have a calcium reactor in that case? Am i right?
    Richard

Depending on how many SPS you wish to keep. Reef building corals like SPS rely on calcium to grow. The more SPS you have, the higher/sustainable level of calcium you will need.

You don't NEED a calcium reactor...it can be done by supplementing with calcium additives but it will be much harder and it will be a constant maintenance activity if you have a lot of SPS in the tank..
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

P.S. I was thinking the same things you are just last month....I decided enough dosing calcium and I ordered a Lifereef LCR2 reactor that should be ready around January.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

thats cool to know, yup my next tank will be a 180G, i now have 120G ready for it (used water), but i will have a lot of SPS (what a wish) so in the end, i will need one.
    Thanks a lot

I will go for a calcium reactor then.
    Richard

FWIW, i just use a KalkReactor. i prefer adding supplements than the maintenance of a calcium reactor, which is also more expensive.
    but as has been said above, the calcium reactor will do a better job at keeping up with the heavy calcium needs of a tank full of SPS.
    Albert
    My Photos

whats FWIW?
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast