Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump broken??

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Yeah, You should be able to just purchase the impeller.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

sweet, thanx for helping me troubleshhot this problem.

Ok, my pump ended up beign a mad 3600 so the impeller ended up costing me $40. The pump is working fine now, now as far as lubrication goes. Do i need to put ne oil on the impeller shaft, impeller, or any areas around the impeller?

Don't put oil in it!

The pump seizes between the the ceramic shaft and the outer shaft of the impeller.

Take a look at your old impeller. Pull the caps off the end then GENTLY tap the exposed ceramic shaft until it comes loose from the impeller. Soak all of the parts in straight vinegar for about a week. Put them all back together and you have a spare impeller. This also shows you how to clean the new impeller. If you are running high Ca and Alk, you will want to give the impeller a short soak every month or two. This is the main reason I am getting away from Mags in SPS tanks. This seizing thing happens a lot.

40 Bucks is better then replacing the thing. Did you think to get a new impeller housing seal for the rebuild?
    Rob

Wow, had i known this i wouldn't have gotten this pump.

One Salty Dog- Impeller housing seal, is that the rubber gasket?

And Bvoss, are you sure i can still salvage my old impeller? It's cracked on one side, well not cracked more like a 2 cm deep gash that 2 cms wide. And this gash is the entire length of one side. I can see rusted flakes falling out (possibly the ceramic??)

Id this happens again i might just get a new pump, what would you guys reccomend?

Yes I am referring to the rubber seal. It may leak if not replaced when doing service. If the pump is submersed it will not likely be an issue. If the shaft is damaged I would not use it again as doing so could damage the shaft housing and then your out of luck.
    Rob

Wow,

If your impeller is that bad there is nothing you can do except thank your luck stars that it didn't take out the whole pump. When these pumps overheat they start leaking current into the tank. You will know becuase they will start tripping your GFCI.

I have sworn by these pumps for years for ponds and even soft coral tanks. I find they just take some TLC when using them in an SPS tank because of the deposits that occur.

If you pay attention to them, a quick vinegar soak will keep up with the deposits.

Yeah i am pretty lucky, good thing i only had to pay $40 instead of get a new pump. My pump is submersed in the water, and the gasket still looked good so i didn't replace it.

I noticed the 50/50 vinegar and water solution didnt work that well b/c there was still some grime in there when i pulled the impeller out, would striaght vinegar hurt the pump?

And how often should i soak this in vinegar?

LOL pulling the impeller out was another lucky thing b/c i didn't think that it could come out. Out of frustration i just started to pull on it and it started moving. So i figured the pump was seized neway so i just yanked it out and i saw the cracked impeller.

Straight vinegar won't hurt. I would let it soak for a few hours whenever you can set something up to keep the water moving. Maybe a couple of powerheads and an airstone would be good while you gave the pump a serious cleaning.

I would clean the pump every other month depending on how high you run your Alk and Ca. If you ever let your alk get out of hand (above 12) then pull the thing apart and soak it to be sure. This is now part of my pre-travel routine. Before I leave on a business trip I clean the pumps so my wife doesn't have a crisis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast