Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump broken??

Question Pump broken??

HI everyone, haven't posted in a while. Well any way i have had a mag drive 800 for 2 years now in my sump filter. Well i turned it off to feed my fish and turned it back on 15 mins later and it wouldn't pump any water. It made sounds but no water flow. I unscrewed the protective plate to see the propeller. I plugged it in and it wouldnt turn but the motor was on making sounds. I turned it off and twisted the propeller to the right and it lossened up a little bit. I plugged it in again and the propeller turned but stopped, so what is going on??

EDIT: I meant mag drive 1200, not 800... lol they dont even have an 800 model

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Soak the pump completely in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar for an hour. It sounds like gunk build-up.

Should be fine.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Alright ill give it a try, thanx for the help

The vinegar sint working. I plugged it in but the motor soudns weaker now. I even left it over night and still the same result. I took off the shield and propeller and am soaking it again, maybe this will make a difference.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Try scrubbing the inside of the pump and the impeller with an old toothbrush after you soak it to get any remaining debris off the parts.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Can't really get to the indisde of the pump. All it exposes is the metal part that hooks up to the impeller. But I'll give it a try. Think maybe my motor burnt out? I have been careless w/ this pump, forgetting to fill it up w/ water b/c of evaporation. And this is the first time maintencing it b/c i thought u didnt have to do ne maintenence w/ tha mag drives.

I turned the pump on for five mins in the vinegar and water solution and the pump got pretty warm when i went to pull it out of the water

If the shaft is seized the pump will get warm. Can you spin the impeller freely by hand? If you can't then there is still an obstruction that must be cleared / cleaned. If However you CAN spin the impeller freely but the pump will not run .. then I would be inclined to say it is fried.
    Rob

I can spin the impeller to the right but when it gets to a certain point it stops (by wut u guys r saying, there's something jamming it)After it gets stuck, i can force it to the right again and itll spin and then get stuck. It gets stuck at the same point every time but the thing is i cant get to the internals b/c theres no other way i can see to get in there. Ne suggestions?

I think I found my problem, the magnetic shaft is cracked. I pulled on it a little bit, and it started to come out, so I just yanked it out w/ soem tweezers and it came out. Is there a way i can buy this part seperately, or am i better off buying a new pump?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast