Need help wiring 175W MH bare ballast

I finally got my 175W MH magnetic ballast today, now im looking to wire it tonight but im confused as how to wire now seeing the wiring diagram on the ballast.

Here is some pictures of the wiring diagram on ballast and all wires coming from ballast.

Here is a pic of the cap. with the red wire coming from cap. which is supposed to go to the MH lamp.

Now in the wiring diagram it says my orange wire is my 120v wire but on the ballast it is capped, am I suppose to take the cap off and use that one and then cap the black one since im not using 347V as the diagram specifys for black ?

Also, there is 2 white wires, im guessing one goes to the lamp and the other to the wall outlet(along with the orange) and then I know I need a ground wire but im unsure as to where to put it on the ballast, and also it mentions on the diagram that the cap. should also be grounded along with the metallic ignitor...What is the metallic ignitor ???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

somebody not to long ago went threw the same problem as you and I help him out ..the way I see it your power should go to the orange wire ..tape up the black lead (347 volt) your neautral wire should be connected to your white wire and one side of your lamp.. the red wire should be connected to the other side of the porcelain lamp .. make shure the red lead is connected to the centre part of the lamp you do not want the base of the porcelain to be the live side ..hope I help you

Hey frank, thanks for the help, appreciate it! Thats how I thought but I wanted to make sure! One last thing, the metallic ignitor I found out seems to be used most of the time when you are powering HPS bulbs, rarely you will find em on MH so im not worrying about that now but the ground though. I know I have to ground the ballast core (as for the cap, theres 2 wires, one is the red (for my lamp) the other goes in the transformer) so I guess it may be internally grounded within the transformer core...

But how would I got about and attaching a ground to the transformer core ??

AK

Hi AK,

Yes, you are correct take the cap off the orange wire as per instructions you will need it for the 120V hook up.

Cap the Black

Cap the Tan

Better safe than sorry

One White goes to the Lamp the other to the outlet with the orange
    (3 Wire extension cord a black, white and green)
    Thin prong (orange)
    Fat prong (white) if you get a polarity noted extension cord

Before doing any hook up to the lamp socket and ballast/cap I would get a 6 x 6 metal box with a lid referred to as an E box, Home depot likely carries them if not try an electrical outlet.

You may need to knock a ˝ “ whole in the box for the connector for the extension cord
    You may also need to knock a ˝” whole out for the lamp cord connector too.
    Depends on the metal box.
    Ground the extension cord to the box mount the ballast in the box should have metal legs (both are grounded to the electrical outlet)

If the lamp cord does not have a ground then you will need to run a ground from the metal reflector/ attached to the socket in your hood to the Ballast box, will call it.

I would mount the capacitor in the box using metal strapping this is the best you can do for a ground. (Grable bar works the best IMO) just be sure you don’t damage the capacitor if you go this route some people use tie wraps this works too but it is NOT a case ground to the body of the capacitor.

Hope I got all that right the pic is huge, took me a while to read it going back and forth LOL

AK when you’re done, get the neighbor down the road and suggest he plug the cord into the outlet (That’s what I am going to do anyway)

Be safe

Louie

PS I only see a Capacitor and a transformer in the pic are there any additional components?
    The capacitor is typically what they call the ignitor if it came with the kit I would think you will need it I know I did with the metal halide I hooked up but this may depend on the lamp not 100% sure check with the place you bought it.

when they say ground ballast core usually it is done when you mount your ballast into a metal box if you look at the xformer you will see a hole through it in the four corners when you mount it through these holes you are grd. it some mh lamps need ignitor to work properly..also you should have three white wires together one from your source one going to the ballast and the other to the lamp

To house the ballast I have an old computer power supply which I gutted out and will use the existing power connector to plug the ballast into the wall outlet and also kept the fan assembly to cool ballast down. I don't have any grounding mounting brackets for my ballast so will solder the ground on the side of ballast where they soldered it closed. Gonna wire this up tonight, will post pics!

AK