Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MH over center brace.

I wanted to put a 150MH over the current tank while I wait for my new bigger one and my b/friend said that it would crack the center brace, even if it's poitioned to the side of the tank. Is this true???
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

i have 2 mh 250 w on a 36 inche tank with a center brace...
    Derik...

I cut mine out and replaced it with glass.
    Newbie in training

Hmmmmmm....
    I though he may be "tricking me"...( I can hear the Twilight Zone theme..)
    The brace is made of glass.
    He also mentioned the evaporation, as I don't have an auto top off it would be too great. Is this another "urban Andy myth"?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

You will get evaporation....depending on the size of the tank and the amount of light, etc.
    On my 150g with 2 400w MH, I loose between 1-2 gallons per day.
    I use an auto-top up system as topping up the water every day would be a pain.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

personnaly i do not trust auto top offs.....Maybe its just me but..there is some people that had it on and the top float to stop the pump didnt stop the pump and they woke up in the mornig or arrived from work with salinity Very low and mess all over the floor..unless you take a small bucket and just put enough for it not to overfill your tank and just let the pump run dry if there is a problem with the float.....you wont melt glass with the halides..
    Derik...

Thanks..
    I didn't think I would crack the glass, but when there's 2 reefers in one house..........doubt can set in.....
    I don't mind manually topping off the water atm until the bigger tank arrives, and I've heard the same horror stories too.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I've been using my auto top-off for well over a year and NEVER had any problems.

I trust it completely.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

thats what i meant its only me......dont you make your own switches vince.....?Its most probably ive had a skimmer overflowing 30 gallons on the floor and with the work i do i am gone for a month at a time...i would be very stressed about it.....you have any pics of your system vince
    Derik...

It depends on the type of top up.
    If you set it up with a volume that can be handled by the sump (e.g. you have 10 gallons of headroom and a 10 gallon reservoir), your salinity can drop, but, not too dramatically and you shouldn't find a lot of water on the floor.

If you have it hooked up to a live feed, and it isn't set up with redundancy or fail-safe, you could dillute your tank and / or find a puddle when you get home. I believe tang_man builds and sells some top-ups floats with redundancy.

The only way your glass brace would crack from heat is from a sudden change. If it gets very hot (unlikely) and then it gets wet, it has a good chance of cracking. But, you will likely have the light 6-12 inches over the tank water which means the glass brace won't get so hot that getting it wet would lead to cracking.

Well, IMO anyway.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast