Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reactor Size And Style

Okay, any large tank owners or experienced persons please chime in. Starting to investigate reactors for my 500g system. It will be slightly mixed but majority SPS. Harley builds them but I need to know all about what makes a better reactor as I feel this is one piece I can't skimp on and if I do get a knock off I want to make sure its one that fits my needs.

I"ve tried a couple of reactors, but played around with alot of them, i think really what makes a better one is how easy it is to use, and how well its built, if you look at some of the most expensive ones, they simply boast that they are the easiest to use.
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

I never looked into calcium reactors,what the advantage of it compared to using a dosing pump with kalkwaser?whats the principle of operation with those things?
    Derik...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    You want one that can recirculate C02, has precise measuring (bubble counter, needlevalve, and is well built.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Vince,

i have never looked into them but what is the priciple of ops for them,i mean were do you put calcium,what type/brand of calcaium do you put in there....how does it enter the tank..etc....I kmow nothing of them....

And whats the difference between a reactor compare to a doser..advantage/disadvantage?
    Derik...

Johnny

I am almost done building this reactor. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...alcium+reactor

It has a very good design and it holds 2 containers of A.R.M media. It also has a C02 re-circulation loop.

I copied his design and like I said I'm almost done, I just have to get the damn gasket to seal properly.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Derik,
    Randy Holmes has written several articles on the advantages / disadvantages, if you browse some old issues of advanced aquarist you'll find it, or someone may have the link
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

John,
    recirculating CO2 or exhausting the buildup, easy to dial in, stable running ( no daily fiddling with it), and solid build ( remember these things are running with some pressure built up in them).

Hey Cable Guy!

Did you read all 42 pages of taht thread on Reef Central? If youy did, what is the final output? Did he do any mods to his design? I got tired after the first 5 pages...

The design looks great, just wanted to know if there was anything different with the initial design at page 42

Ivan

sidewayz..... I read most of the pages but not all. He changed the design once I beleive, but that was in the first couple of pages, I think he even showed some pics of the changes. It's been a long time since I read that thread so I can't remember exactly.

All I did was printed off the pictures from that thread, got the diementions which he supplied in the thread and started to build. It wasn't very hard.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast